Hello from East Sussex...

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
PLEASE contact the council asap and find out whether they will give you any right to stay in the house once mum and dad don't live there any more. Sadly, we have had a number of carers who have been made homeless after the last parent either died or moved into residential care.
Write to the council yourself, explain that you are their carer, and ask if they will allow you to stay there, or offer you a smaller property, under these circumstances.
You have been badly advised on benefits, Tammy.

While, like myself, you understandably do not want to apply for PIP, you would (once made redundant) be eligible to apply for New Style/Contributory ESA due to your NI contributions .

ESA is worth slightly more than CA, in fact you could claim both and receive extra 8.50/wk (6.95/wk from Apr) ESA top-up on your CA (that what I do).
What's ESA, I haven't heard of that one. All these letters are hard to work out sometimes :)

So should I apply for Universal Credit too, or not? Once I have a date I can contact the benefits people again and I'll ask about that ESA to see if it applies.
It's kind of a thing I haven't thought about because it's all pretty scary. I flat out wouldn't be able to afford the bills.
bowlingbun wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:28 pm
PLEASE contact the council asap and find out whether they will give you any right to stay in the house once mum and dad don't live there any more. Sadly, we have had a number of carers who have been made homeless after the last parent either died or moved into residential care.
Write to the council yourself, explain that you are their carer, and ask if they will allow you to stay there, or offer you a smaller property, under these circumstances.
It will be even more scary to be given 4 weeks notice to leave the property when you are left on your own! This has happened to a number of carers and is the precise reason why it's so important that you find out what your council policy is now, so that you can make plans.
IF they agree to rehouse you in a smaller property, and were not working, you would possibly be entitled to housing benefit, but you do need to make finding out a priority now. Are you now claiming Attendance Allowance?
Tammie ... benefits ?

ESA :

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance

Old names ... unemployment benfit / job seekers allowance.

If Carers Allowance cannot be claimed ... no PIP or Attendance Allowance paid to a parent ( ? ) ... that's your first step.

Housing ... warnings posted are for you to ponder on ... we can do no more.

No so much as to whether you can afford the bills , more a case of having the right to live there.

An Online Benefits Calculator for you to crunch some munbers ... it will produce your likely level of future income :

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
Thanks Chris, Mum gets PIP and Dad gets AA.
Chris From The Gulag wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:04 pm
Tammie ... benefits ?

ESA :

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance

Old names ... unemployment benfit / job seekers allowance.

If Carers Allowance cannot be claimed ... no PIP or Attengance Allowance paid to a parent ( ? ) ... that's your first step.

Housing ... warnings posted are for you to ponder on ... we can do no more.

No so much as to whether you can afford the bills , more a case of having the right to live there.

An Online Benefits Calculator for you to crunch some munbers ... it will produce your likely level of future income :

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
Not claiming anything at all because of still working. Mum gets PIP and Dad gets AA and they both get State Pension but that's it.
bowlingbun wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:03 pm
It will be even more scary to be given 4 weeks notice to leave the property when you are left on your own! This has happened to a number of carers and is the precise reason why it's so important that you find out what your council policy is now, so that you can make plans.
IF they agree to rehouse you in a smaller property, and were not working, you would possibly be entitled to housing benefit, but you do need to make finding out a priority now. Are you now claiming Attendance Allowance?
Sorry, that should have read are you now claiming Carers Allowance, but I'd forgotten that you were still working.
No worries :)

But no, I'm not. I earn about £40 a week too much, which works out at my shortest shift, but because of the upcoming redundancy I can't drop those hours or else it'll effect it. I did speak to my Union rep about that and that's what he told me.

Everything is up in the air. We're all due a final meeting but because they have no date when things are happening they've postponed the final meetings (they were due to take place by mid-March). The planning decision from the Council's side is being made on 11th March but even then it's down to the company as to when they start the work. They're doing what they're doing to our store to a number of stores so I don't know if they're doing it all in one go or spaced out over time, no-one knows.

It's making life very difficult because I need to do some financial things which I can't until I have a date because obviously things matter if you're employed or unemployed. It's so frustrating!
bowlingbun wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:05 pm
Sorry, that should have read are you now claiming Carers Allowance, but I'd forgotten that you were still working.