[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hello from a new carer - Carers UK Forum

Hello from a new carer

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi, My husband and I care for our nephew (hub's sister's adult son) who has learning disabilities and is relatively non verbal, though he does love to chatter 😄 We have him at our home 5 days a week where he has his own room and sleeps over 3 or 4 nights a week. We have 3 children at home aged 9-14... And now I'm going to pop over to the advice rooms 👍
Hi JC and welcome,

Hub's sister is very lucky to have you both helping out so much.

Melly1
I'm a little concerned she's taking a few liberties at the moment tho 😉 We'll get it sorted tho, hopefully advice in here will make it easier 😊
How did it come to helping out so much?
What are you looking for as advice?
What age is your nephew?
Hi Sunny,

His sis moved back locally in Oct and brought the hours she'd been paying someone else with DP. Nephew is late 30s.
That's not very fair on your own kids. A long term solution needs to be found.
We want to be the long term solution, it's all good 👍
Not if she is claiming Carers Allowance, and receiving maximum PIP etc. for her son, whilst only giving you the DP's!
You are being taken advantage of!
I'd have thought with SS being involved and knowing full well how much he's here that wouldn't be the case?
You must meet the following requirements to be entitled to Carer's Allowance: Spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone (you do not need to live with them or be related) The person you care for receives a qualifying disability benefit. Be at least 16 years old.13 Apr 2021

If your sister in law is claiming carers allowance. Who do you think should be claiming the allowance?