Working Carers

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hello,
I work full time and look after my mum at home (carers come in through the day and there are waking nights)
There's no other viable option for mum and we are happier knowing she's at home.
Is there anybody else out there in the same boat?

I find the social isolation the hardest
Hi Catherine
Yes! Plenty, but not many about at this time of night :) I'm sure they will be a long to say hi over the next few days
I'm in a different category in that I care for my young adult son with anxiety and my 95 Mum who is in residential Home, so I'm not quite so tired as those caring for elderly
Welcome , but even I am off to bed now

Kr
MrsA
Hi Catherine,
I juggle work and caring too, however my caree is young. He has a combination of care workers at home and goes to the follow on service at his college.

Like Mrs A, I must go to bed too.

Melly1
Hi Catherine, welcome to the forum. Mum must be very poorly to need so much care, especially waking night staff. Have you had a Carers Assessment from Social Services to see what help and support is available to you? I'm thinking of some guaranteed time off from work and caring when you can have some fun, go for a walk, a drink, or night off with friends.
Yes, do you get any time off yourself? You can't spend all the time you are not at work, keeping company with your mum.

Is she paying for her care-workers herself, or is she below the threshold so that the council pays?
catherine_150912 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:09 pm
Hello,
I work full time and look after my mum at home (carers come in through the day and there are waking nights)
There's no other viable option for mum and we are happier knowing she's at home.
Is there anybody else out there in the same boat?

I find the social isolation the hardest
Similar, work, caring, not a lot else.
Carers come in once a day to wash and dress, I do the rest.
No help at night.