[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hello everyone - Page 6 - Carers UK Forum

Hello everyone

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
80 posts
It is a standard single size mattress. Dad had an NHS pressure sore mattress on his old single bed which was standard size. They took it off when the hospital bed came and used it on the new hospital bed- standard single size.
Has anyone mentioned that you can have the CHC equivalent of "Direct Payments"? They tell you how much the package is, and give you the money to organise it yourself? Would it be easier for you to do the night shift yourself, so that you just have carers coming in, perhaps for longer periods, during the day? I know this is possible, as I read about it when trying to get CHC for mum, but can't think of the formal name for it. As for the CHC person not visiting, that's very, very poor.
Thanks Henrietta. Just thought it seemed strange, as bed is longer than standard single, I thought the mattress would be as well. The mattress was longer (but narrower) on the electric profiling beds my parents bought privately in the past and they had to buy special sized sheets for them.

Do they have their own mattress covers on them? I know they have a wipe clean surface but don't know if you're supposed to put a mattress cover on as well? We were also using a waterproof bed pad on top of sheet on normal bed before, as I had to keep washing linen otherwise. I read somewhere you shouldn't use those on top of airflow mattresses, as it takes away from the pressure relieving properties (not so close to skin). I would like to carry on using it if possible though, to save me work.

On the subject of the mattress, the OT has sourced my mum an alternative. It's a mixture of foam and airflow, which she thought my mum might find more comfortable. My mum said it's the heat that she doesn't like though. OT said, that was unavoidable, because of the waterproof surface of the mattress.
I have read about that Bowlingbun. You have a personal budget. The CHC worker didn't mention anything about it though. As I said, the call was very brief, with very little info given.

Are they supposed to come and assess in the home then?

Regarding the overnight care, that is what I found the hardest. That's the one thing that helps with my illness - sleep. If I don't get it, I can't cope the next day and my health rapidly deteriorates. Even if I have nothing to do all day.
I was wondering if it might be possible for you to do the "night shift" knowing that you could sleep during the day, with the paid carers on duty? Just an idea, trying to think round a really difficult situation. When you speak to the CHC person next, ask if there is a laundry service in your area, to save you doing the sheets. Do you use a "draw sheet" or similar, I know others have mentioned them, but don't know the modern name for them. Just an extra sheet under the bottom area, so that's all that needs changing in case of accidents. Henrietta might know more. Regarding the woman from CHC, I just feel that she should get out of her ivory tower and visit you so you can have a proper discussion. After all, this is going to affect not just mum's entire life, but yours too!
Dad has been using a foam pressure mattress at home and just swapped from air flow to foam at the hospital but mainly because the air flow broke I think. They don't have a cover besides the purple plastic wipe down cover.No you are not suppose to use any mattress protector beneath the sheet. District Nurse asked me to remove it becuase it reduced the effect of the pressure relief. I presume that includes the square incontinents absorbing squares you can get as they would be placed beneath the bottom which is one of the main places likely to get pressure sores.
I've just been talking to a lady while I was out walking the dog who has been refused CHC. She is elderly walking on 2 sticks with a broken rib after a fall. Her husband whom she cares for had a stroke and needs hoisting for every move and has had to move into a care home, CHC refused! I've got no hope have I? Not down here where probably the average age of the population is approaching 60.
When my brother was helping out (he was living here for a while), I used to do the night shift, as my sleep pattern was all back to front anyway due to my own illness. Then he used to take over in the day until I got up. That was no way to live though, as I ended up sleeping all day and in the winter, I never got to see daylight! It was very difficult indeed to train my body to sleep at a more normal time, so I really don't want to go back to being nocturnal.

So, the CHC worker is the one to ask about any local services that can help, such as a laundry service?

I had been using disposable bed pads and then more recently, a washable reusable one but as Henrietta has just confirmed, I won't be able to use them anymore, now that Mum needs the pressure relieving mattress. I bought another reusable one a couple of months back, so I could wash one and always have a clean one ready. They will both be wasted now. They are a godsend, so it's frustrating that I won't be able to use them. I hope there is a laundry service. Do you have to save it all up though, or can you call them every time you need to strip the bed after an accident? Would be very unhygienic if you had to store them until you had enough to send!

I was looking into disposable bed pans and commode bowls today. Turns out you can't use the disposable bed pan on its own though, you have to put it into the bed pan. I was hoping we could turn the bed pan away when it's delivered with the equipment (hygiene freak remember!). Still more hygienic to line the bed pan though, (and less to clean), so will probably get some. I also saw some plastic bag liners with an absorbent pad inside that turns it all to gel, so you can just tie it up and throw away. They had them for bed pans and for commodes.

The CHC worker did sound kind but very rushed at the same time. Surely, there will be a much more detailed conversation at some point, whether over the phone or in person? Or maybe, that will be with the agency, once they've been selected. As you say, this is a life changing situation and they don't seem to comprehend that. I'm sure they would behave differently if it was happening to them!

Nobody has spoken to my mum about any of it. Not even told her she's got the funding! Not told her she'll probably be discharged next week. Not said anything at all! Of course, they knew I would fill her in on everything but she should have been the first to know.
As I just said to Bowlingbun, that will be a real blow to me not being able to use the bed pad to protect the sheet from leakages.

That's terrible about that lady and her husband. I feel so sorry for all the people who are refused. It's criminal really. I don't know how they can refuse people who are so incapacitated and how on earth they can argue that their needs are social needs, rather than health needs. I still can't believe we got it. I was so sure we would be refused, as it seems hardly anyone qualifies. I remember when I first asked about it, (when Mum had an overnight stay in hospital a while back) and the nurse exclaimed, "you have to be dying to get that!"

I'll keep my fingers crossed you do get it Henrietta.
Did your mum get it Bowlingbun?
I've never had cause to use a laundry service, but know of their existence. There really should be a handbook for all this sort of thing, the problem is that each authority works independently, so what happens in one area won't necessarily be the same in another.
On the subject of bedpans etc., have you ever seen a caravan Porta Potti. I've used them for many years, at steam rallies. Basically, there are two chambers which clip together. The lower chamber is a waste receptacle, you put some pleasant smelling liquid in here, and a couple of pints of water. The top chamber looks very similar to a traditional toilet seat, but surrounded by a water jacket. So you sit on the seat normally, when you've finished, there is a little pump which pumps fresh water round the bowl, to rinse it. Between the two chambers there is a rubber seal, so no leakage; and a flap, so you can't see what is below. When the lower chamber is getting full, you just take the top off, and tip the contents down the toilet, via a large tube. Special toilet frames are available from the OT. Definitely preferable to a bedpan, as long as mum can get out of bed to use it.
80 posts