Hello All /New to the forum + dealing with agency carers?

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hello all, I contacted carersuk a month or so ago and found it helped to share so thought maybe these forums would also help speaking/listening / maybe helping with others in similar circumstances.

Last April my father was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour, he had been coping well with all the treatment and still able to maintain his lifestyle before being diagnosed however with a few falls/trips to hospital, he has now been bedbound since November. Although we have known since his diagnosis that this was a losing battle, the last few months have been a bit rough-my dad left his job when my mother passed away when I was 18 to take care of my younger sister and myself (she had breast cancer, we are an unlucky bunch it seems) Essentially its just dad and myself in the house, my sister lives in another city and we have carers also coming daily.

Out of this whole situation I think they have become my biggest bugbear and I wanted to know if others have had any issues with carers?

At times I think I might just be nitpicking/going mad but we are now on our third agency-we didn't chose to change the first agency but I've recently had to change the second agency and now I feel like I'm facing similar issues with the third agency. I had high hopes for this new agency but I feel like if I have any concerns, uncomfortable to raise them with the carers. It might seem petty to get irritated at the fact they write they've been at the house for an hour when they've only done 20minutes but I don't think thats fair?

I don't know, maybe I've just spent too much time inside or redirecting emotions to this. To anyone still reading, thank you for hearing me out.

All the best,
Philippa
If you pay for an hour, you should get an hour of work- change agency.
They should definitely be there for the hour you are paying them for!
I have carers for 5 hrs a day for my mum whilst I am at work. If one if them is a few minutes late she will stay the extra few minutes at the end.
I would not be impressed if they were doing less. Especially as my mum is so vulnerable.
Having said that, I have had issues, like the phone call at 22:30 the night before (I have to be up at 04:00 for work!) to say no one could come. I said I had to go to work and that they needed to sort someone to come to my mum as I couldn't take anymore time off. Funnily enough, when I called from work the next morning, mum did have a carer there.
It's a pain though, I give you that. I hate having strangers in and out of my house when I'm not there. It stresses me a bit.
If you look at my posts you will see lots of carer issues! I initiated a safeguarding case against carers organised by the LA. One of the reasons was their documenting incorrect times in the care notes.

The care records are regulated documents and must be accurate complete and kept current.

What you describe appears to be fraudulent falsification.

I installed a video doorbell, checked their entries over time so I had.extensive documentation. I would call the LA/agency office to say carer had left before the recorded time of leaving and photograph the care record.

You need to collect strong evidence and establish a pattern. Perhaps talking to the area manager might nip this in the bud.

To be believed and taken seriously you will need to be able to substantiate your claims.
Where did you get the video doorbell from?! I didn't even know such a thing existed.

My son's carers have to use his phone to ring a Freephone number of arrival and departure.
My mums carers had to call in to a number they had when they arrived then call again just before leaving.

Clocking in then clocking out

Mind you, it still didn't stop one carer spending the first half hour helping out, then the other half sitting at the kitchen table filling in her daily report at a leisurely pace

Get in touch with the area manager, as they do not like this practice from their staff
Ree_1802 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:37 pm
They should definitely be there for the hour you are paying them for!
I have carers for 5 hrs a day for my mum whilst I am at work. If one if them is a few minutes late she will stay the extra few minutes at the end.
I would not be impressed if they were doing less. Especially as my mum is so vulnerable.
Having said that, I have had issues, like the phone call at 22:30 the night before (I have to be up at 04:00 for work!) to say no one could come. I said I had to go to work and that they needed to sort someone to come to my mum as I couldn't take anymore time off. Funnily enough, when I called from work the next morning, mum did have a carer there.
It's a pain though, I give you that. I hate having strangers in and out of my house when I'm not there. It stresses me a bit.
Continued Care have helped with the arrangments of carers but when I've raised the issue of the time actually spent, they haven't seemed to take any notice. I'm always in the house so I do worry for those alone, which I mentioned to CC. I've reduced one of the scheduled slots purely because they would come at various times from anywhere between 12-3 for about 5mins if that and write in their folder '30 minutes'.
Rosemary_1706 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:55 pm
If you look at my posts you will see lots of carer issues! I initiated a safeguarding case against carers organised by the LA. One of the reasons was their documenting incorrect times in the care notes.

The care records are regulated documents and must be accurate complete and kept current.

What you describe appears to be fraudulent falsification.

I installed a video doorbell, checked their entries over time so I had.extensive documentation. I would call the LA/agency office to say carer had left before the recorded time of leaving and photograph the care record.

You need to collect strong evidence and establish a pattern. Perhaps talking to the area manager might nip this in the bud.

To be believed and taken seriously you will need to be able to substantiate your claims.
Really appreciate that, thank you. For starters it has made me feel less insane- this sadly seems to be a common issue. I always write when they come/ leave but that won't seem enough.
Adonis_1802 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:31 pm
My mums carers had to call in to a number they had when they arrived then call again just before leaving.

Clocking in then clocking out

Mind you, it still didn't stop one carer spending the first half hour helping out, then the other half sitting at the kitchen table filling in her daily report at a leisurely pace

Get in touch with the area manager, as they do not like this practice from their staff

Tonight on my dads visit, one of the two carers came and spent 10mins ( supposed to be 30) and then she got ready to leave but then waited around in the hall way-for the other carer to pop by and pick her up. The second carer said oh I've just arrived, sorry, is that ok? - I don't really know how to raise this issue to two grown woman. I worry raising the issue might lead to any awkwardness afterwards but I know it needs to be done
Have you got specific tasks for them to do that fall within their remit? If so, no reason not to say 'Before you leave, please can you do xxxx, as you will have time to do that before your allowance is up'.

I think one of the problems so many of us have is that we are not used to having 'servants' so to speak! I mean, think of the women who hire a cleaner and then clean the house themselves first, as they 'don't like' to 'ask the cleaner' to do it!

I think it's a question of being friendly but matter of fact. Don't get 'chatting' - I can remember someone I knew who used to get 'trapped' in endless 'chatting' by the carer, who then never actually did any work at all......

The solution is for YOU to have tasks to do so that you are not available to be talked to!