[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Having my own life? - Carers UK Forum

Having my own life?

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi there,
I'm a divorced mum of three children age 10-14 the middle of whom has severe cerebral palsy. I'm hoping to make contact with people in a similar situation to share ideas and let off steam, and to learn from carers of older children what might be coming my way.
SDMB
Hi and welcome Image
Hi dear a big warm welcome coffee
Hello and welcome Image
Hi and a warm welcome to the forum.
hi there SDMB, Just passing through to say hello and welcome!

Bell x
Welcome to the forum. My son is 33, with SLD. "Transition planning" should be starting for you soon, if your son is 14. In theory, this means that childrens and adults services are working together, in practice it meant for me that each wanted the other to do something! The best advice I was ever given was to keep my son in education as long as possible - he stayed at school until he was 19 and then went to a special farm college until he was 22, but I had to fight for funding. The difference in the last few years of education were huge. Do you get any respite care? If you are thinking of a move away from home, the more your son gets used to being cared for by other people, the easier it will be. Hope that helps.