[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Has Anyone Got To A Point Where It Has Worked Out Okay? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Has Anyone Got To A Point Where It Has Worked Out Okay?

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
It was hard. I also had issues finding childcare providers who had worked with children with spina bifida and clubbed feet who could watch him for 3/4 hours each day. I was also willing to use his benefit money to pay a private tutor to come work with him whilst I worked. I think that it is a shame we are still having to fight for education. If I cannot find a school, I will think about home schooling him part time instead.

The system is messed up. I recently contested a benefits decision with the help of Citizen's Advice as well. We also had a care needs assessment done and I asked about equipment that could help. Even trying to find equipment that he needs is not easy. We did not get any help from NHS wheelchair services so I had to look elsewhere at other sources. Eventually we privately acquired a good wheelchair with help from a wheelchair engineer.

The schools here are marginally better.

Large chunks of unnecessary requoted posts removed by moderator to aid easier reading and flow of thread.
thara_1910 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:06 am
It was hard. I also had issues finding childcare providers who had worked with children with spina bifida and clubbed feet who could watch him for 3/4 hours each day. I was also willing to use his benefit money to pay a private tutor to come work with him whilst I worked. I think that it is a shame we are still having to fight for education. If I cannot find a school, I will think about home schooling him part time instead.

The system is messed up. I recently contested a benefits decision with the help of Citizen's Advice as well. We also had a care needs assessment done and I asked about equipment that could help. Even trying to find equipment that he needs is not easy. We did not get any help from NHS wheelchair services so I had to look elsewhere at other sources. Eventually we privately acquired a good wheelchair with help from a wheelchair engineer.

Large chunks of unnecessary requoted posts removed by moderator to aid easier reading and flow of thread.
Gosh, yes, we ended up buying my son's wheelchair after good only knows how long of trying to get any kind of help or support from the NHS (in fact when I read your post I remembered that my son was referred to physio in 2015 and we are still waiting for that appointment ;) ). I gave up all hopes of returning to work when he was younger because I just couldn't find anyone to look after him; the only option seemed to be a private special needs nanny and she would have been earning more than me :) I've basically got to the point now where I don't even bother asking because it's quicker and easier to get on with it yourself.

I have started looking at somewhere else to move to; if I can find somewhere with a couple of decent places he can go to and a good bus service that would be a step up. Also sound proofing so I can't hear anybody else - ever :) Wouldn't that be good. Lol. I hope things work out for you, Thara x
MumWhoCares wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:33 am
thara_1910 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:06 am

Gosh, yes, we ended up buying my son's wheelchair after good only knows how long of trying to get any kind of help or support from the NHS (in fact when I read your post I remembered that my son was referred to physio in 2015 and we are still waiting for that appointment ;) ). I gave up all hopes of returning to work when he was younger because I just couldn't find anyone to look after him; the only option seemed to be a private special needs nanny and she would have been earning more than me :) I've basically got to the point now where I don't even bother asking because it's quicker and easier to get on with it yourself.

I have started looking at somewhere else to move to; if I can find somewhere with a couple of decent places he can go to and a good bus service that would be a step up. Also sound proofing so I can't hear anybody else - ever :) Wouldn't that be good. Lol. I hope things work out for you, Thara x
Yes it did work out. Let us know how the property search goes.