[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
6 months after clipping of MCA - Carers UK Forum

6 months after clipping of MCA

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi
Not sure if anyone can access my profile but to cut a long story short my best friend for 31 years had a sub arachnoid haemorrhage in April. She was taken to Addenbrooke's where it was clipped. About 7 days later she had a vasospasm which left her with cognitve, speech problems and a weakness of her right side.
I gave up work to look after her as she is like a sister and family member.

She was improving slowly and then today she felt unwell. Within a few hours she was confused, she had trouble finding words let alone sentences and she could no longer understand anything she was reading. A little while after that she developed a headache and finally agreed to go to hospital.

She is now in the stroke ward and I am very scared. They have done a CAT scan, taken bloods etc but so far have no reason for the change. I left at 11.30pm and she seemed to be returning to how she was prior to today.

Has anyone else experienced this? I would appreciate anyone's input as I am fearful that they will not find the reason and that feeling is ominous.
Send a new private message
Welcome aboard, Gill123! Lots of nice people on this site, so do take a good look round.

If they can't find anything, it might be all sorts of possibilities: a form of epilepsy caused by the original brain injury, or migraine, for example.

I'd suggest keeping a diary covering what your friend has done every day and what she has eaten, in case things happen again: it's possible that there might be a pattern you can track that will help prevent more of these "attacks".
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Hello there and welcome to the forum x
Hi, and thanks for the Welcome. Been up the hospital all day and also rang neuro-sugeon at Addenbrooke's who is now working with them to solve the problem.
General concensus at the moment is that it is the meds (phenytoin) as the dose has been changed due to it making my friend like a zombie for 5 hours after taking it.
They want to change to another (more suitable) but have to wait for neurologist to assess, hopefully tomorrow.
She appears to have regained what she lost (back to before this attack) but now has a numb arm, fingers and thumb which they are also investigating. One consultant thinks it's connected to the seizure and one doesn't. Maybe more investigation will clarify this.
Again, thank you all for your support. I have looked at several Carer's Forums and they seem full of people moaning about benefits etc.
I just wanted to share and chat to other carer's who understand the effects and concerns of not only caring but also caring for someone you 'care' about, be it relative, friend or whatever.
It is refreshing to have found a well balanced site like this one.
We all have worries and viewpoints on how carers seem to be that hush hush army on less than minimum wage but to me it seems almost impossible to find somewhere where sharing and talking about things is available. Hopefully I have now found that place.
I know there are career's support groups locally, but as in everything in life, the location reflects the issues and my local one is children and benefit based. It was like one large griping session, so thanks again to all who have posted.
Hello Gill, sorry to hear about your friend, but glad that she has you to look after her welfare. WElcome to the Forum; we try to be cheerful and have a laugh most days. Image
Your friend's symptoms sound like she may have had a TIA, but expect the Hospital Staff have ruled that out? I hope that it all turns out well for you both x
Hi Gill and welcome Image
Hi Gill,
I care for my partner who has a brain injury, so I know a bit about the brain. Bleeds to the brain can reoccur, so this may have happened to your friend. A CAT scan will show this. It is also possible, whilst the brain is still recovering for your friend to experience bad days, where things apparently go backwards, or times when no progress seems to be made. But these will be replaced over time with progress. This is just a way of the brain healing. If there has been a trauma to the brain many things can be sensitive, resulting in all sorts of symptoms. Depending on where the bleed is, different areas will be affected. Try not to panic too much.
Headway is an organisation you may want to talk to - you can find them on the web and they generally have groups all around the country.
Good luck to your friend and her progress and good luck to you. You seem like an amazing friend and I think you are both so lucky to have such a great friendship x
Hello again and thanks for the Welcome and the support. I no longer feel so isolated when it comes to talking to people who understand.
My friend was discharged last night after seeing the neurologist. He has assessed the CAT, ECG bloods etc and said that she had a 'little fit' which is apparently quite normal after such a major haemorrge.
There has been no further bleeding or change in the vessels (PHEW & ELATION). He is sure it is down to getting the right balance of medication and that (the Best bit) he can prevent/stop further fits. Until yesterday I had always associated fits with epilepsy and a typical epileptic attack so I was very interested in learning about other types of 'fits'.
He has now put her on Limotrigene and is gradually weaning her off the Phenytoin (thank God!) The Phenytoin is now a little "archaic" and is known to produce lots of side effects depending on the type of TBA.
Sadly though, her speech, writing and understanding has reverted back to how it was 3 months ago. However, she is still here and that is a blessing.
The speech therapist is coming round Monday to assess whether it is a glipse or long term. Hopefully the first.
Thank you all again for supporting this newcomer. Image