[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
grants and financial help - Carers UK Forum

grants and financial help

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi I'm new to this forum and website.

I have a full time job and am a carer to my mom who is 85 who has numerous health issues, main ones being schizophrenia, emphysema, alzheimers, blocked arteries. i am looking to have an extension built on the side of my house - does anybody know if I can get any financial help/grant towards the costs? my mom or I are not in a position to pay for this. I am in a lot of debt due to a failed business, so couldn't get a loan as I couldn't pay it back, plus my credit worthiness is probably not any good any more. although I have two spare bedrooms, my mom wouldnt be safe going up and down the stairs.

Thanks
Hi and welcome, I am not sure about financial assistance, I think your first port of call would be your local social services for advice
Hi and welcome,

melly1
Hi and welcome
hi just wanted to say welcome to forum
leave it to others to help money wise
I think it's different in different areas of the country. I looked into doing a garage conversion for mum and was told that because I owned my home they would only consider giving me a one off grant to install a wet room in the conversion. Had the house been in mums name it there would have been more finanical help available. I was also told that had either of us been involved with any of the armed forces (which we're not) a grant might have been available. Contact the planning and building department.
There should be help available for a stair lift tho. 3 years ago when mum lived in her own (owned) house she got a 100% grant (£3,000) to install astair lift. Fingers crossed
Thank you for all your comments. I will look into it further. With the medication she is on she would not be suitable for a stairlift as she's unsteady on her feet. It would've been ideal otherwise. Thank you wjp
With the medication she is on she would not be suitable for a stairlift as she's unsteady on her feet. It would've been ideal otherwise. Thank you wjp
William, Excuse me if I'm being silly and not fully understanding but you sit down on a stair lift and they have a seatbelt so why would being unsteady on her feet be a problem?
Just another thought.
Your mother is 85 with numerous health issues.

How long will you be able to cope with her.
My father has had to go in to care for example as he attacked 3 nurses and he suddenly found an enormous amount of strength from somewhere.
Unfortunately caring may come to be more than a 1 person job at some point and I am wondering if you could have these alterations done and your mother may have to go in to care shortly after anyway?.
I am not trying to influence you but you may wish to put my thoughts in to the equation.

Brian