[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
My story and why I joined this forum - hi - Carers UK Forum

My story and why I joined this forum - hi

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
The story is long and so I wont bore you with details.

Simply:

- My Nan has recently suffered from that awful infliction 'social services'.

- After recently falling at her house and breaking her hip, Their solution to her non-severe dementia is to lock her away in a home for people with severe dementia which is breaking her heart.

- Unless they change their decision and provide means for her to live in a place where she can come and go as she pleases I will request support to change my house and have her come live with me. If this scinario should occur, then I need to know everything I have available to me, and how to move forwards. I am hoping to get some of this information from this forum

Many thanks

Mark
Hello and welcome Image

I cannot help...sorry.
Folks are here:
http://www.carersuk.org/Forums/viewforum.php?f=32

Take care.
Hello Mark and welcome to the forum Image
Hello Mark and welcome to the forum.

Obviously SS feel that your Nan would be in danger if she were to return to her own home, and in placing her in a secure facility they are covering their own backs. Perhaps you could argue that, whilst she does need some care, she doesn't need it at the level they have provided and couldn't she be moved to a less 'locked away' care home ?

With regards to what help/benefits might be available try giving the Carers UK Advice Line a ring, they are very knowledgeable and will be able to point you in the right direction - their number can be found here: http://www.carersuk.org/Contactus .
Hello Mark and welcome. Image
hi Mark a big warm welcome
As mentioned give carers uk a call also call yout local mobity centre they make adaptions to your house and provide commods. chairlifts frames etc also carelink - alarms
coffeex
Hi Mark

You might find our 'Ten steps for new carers' a good place to start:
http://www.carersuk.org/Information/Newtocaring

We also do a booklet called 'New to caring' and if you send me your address in a PM I can put a copy in the post for you.

And as susieq says our adviceline will also be able to point you in the right direction. Freephone 0808 808 7777 (Weds/Thurs 10-12 & 2-4).

All the best
Chris
Hello Mark, and welcome to the Forum. I feel sure that your Nan will get the best treatment possible with you around! I'm sorry that I haven't any advice for you, but sure you'll get some from the previous suggestions x
WOW! Thanks for the response. I have been dealing with social services and things are starting to get better. I have also been looking into all this information everybody has been sending to me, thanks for all that guys, much appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark
Hi Mark and welcome. I hope you are managing to make some progress with the dreaded powers that be.

Karen x x