[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
First post: caring for adult son with Aspergers - Carers UK Forum

First post: caring for adult son with Aspergers

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Well, I have been in this situation for years and years and so far I have not met anyone who is in a similar one, although logic tells me they must be out there.

What can I say? My son is in his 20s, super clever, highly articulate. If you met him you would probably never guess he has a disability. It's invisible to the casual eye. Perhaps that is why it's so hard for me to come to terms with.

But he is profoundly disabled. Some people think Aspergers is 'autism lite' - I can only laugh hollowly at that. It strikes to the very heart of what it means to be human - how we cope with life, our feelings and other people, how we learn.

Where we are now is that my son hates life, fears the world and only feels safe in bed, although he not happy there. He is angry, volatile and vituperative. Life is lived on eggshells, one is likely to be blamed and vilified even while in the act of helping him.

So -anyone out there?
Hi and welcome.

I can relate to some of what you describe, my partners son is 16 and has Aspergers. There are others on the forum who will also be able to relate to what you say. Autism and Aspergers are so diverse in the individuals who have these disabilities.

Karen
Hello Mabon, and welcome to our Forum. Aspergers is a Syndrome only recently been brought into the spotlight. My son was first diagnosed when he was around 30years of age.
He was very aggressive, but once on the right medication has calmed down a lot and is now a good person to spend time with. He found that Respiridone helped a lot and is now back to having a fairly 'normal' life.
I hope that you can find something that will help your son with his problem x
Hi,
We are a family of aspies , my mother /myself and my 26 year old daughter of course it affects us each in different ways. my daughter is the same you wouldnt know she has disabilities/difficulties. Her biggest is her intelligence. aspies arent given the help they need because of it the non aspie world assumes we will just work everything out for ourselves. as I said my daughter is now 26 she was diagnosed age 8.
Hi Mabon and welcome.
Welcome to you , all I can say is that you have come to the right place for any info you may require . Image

KEEP POSTING ..