[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Feel alone - Carers UK Forum

Feel alone

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
I'm caring for my mother. It can be quite stressful at times. I feel like I don't have a life of my own. Every time a plan to do something for my self like going out to event,having coffee. with friends. I feel so alone,who do you cope. :)
Hi Natalie, it doesn't have to be like this. How old are you, how old is mum, a d what is wrong with mum? Have you been in touch with Social Services? Are either of you claiming benefits? It will be easier to make suggestions if you could tell us this much.
You've come to the right place Natalie. Lots of lovely people here. It's not the same as seeing friends but it reminds you that you are not alone.
Jx
Hi I care for my partner who cannot be left alone feel so lonely at times sometimes I don't see people for days
A dog is great company, and even a fifteen or twenty minute break walking the dog at a brisk pace will make you get some vital exercise and meet other dog-walkers. Walking makes you feel better and helps you to keep fit. I'm a convert to carers dog walking therapy! But, if you have no space for a dog, or cannot stand them, just go for a walk with an imaginary dog, it has the same effect 8-)
There's a saying: 'you should take a dog for a walk every day, whether you have one or not'.
Hi Natalie,
I'd check out any possible sitting services to see if that is a way for you to have some time out. I am no fan of social services so I avoid getting them involved. Depending on the condition your mum has you might find a local online support group or organisation who offer a variety of services. AGE UK might be worth checking out or phoning to see if they have a sitting service you could use. Maybe whoever could do that could come along for a few visits to let your mum get used to them before leaving her with them.
Juggler wrote:There's a saying: 'you should take a dog for a walk every day, whether you have one or not'.
Thats a good one! Thinking about it, I don't know many dog owners who would mind your borrowing their dog once a day for an extra walk - in fact I know a few older people who could do with that kind of support. Ask around ...
natalie_15111 wrote:I'm caring for my mother. It can be quite stressful at times. I feel like I don't have a life of my own. Every time a plan to do something for my self like going out to event,having coffee. with friends. I feel so alone,who do you cope. :)
Hi Natalie. This could so have been my story 3yrs ago. Do you have family who can offer support? If you ever need to talk feel free to msg me x
Hi Natalie,
I know just how you feel. I've been caring for my Mum for 10 years now and feel like a prisoner in my own home.

I've come to the point where because of her selfish attitude I find it difficult to love her any more. We used to be great friends and go to the London theatres together and various other trips but now she just thinks of herself. I can't even hold a conversation with her.

I'm going to the hairdresser on Tuesday 15th December. This will be the first time I've been out since August!

She was in respite for six weeks last Christmas due to me having a breakdown but she refuses to go in EVER again!! So now I'm stuck. She won't even have a sit in service - sorry, but I feel very, very bitter as life is passing me by. I gave up work several years ago to care for her full time and I've not had a holiday since 2007!