End stage kidney failure

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hello Lauren_1605, I sorry to hear that your partner has been diagnosed with C.K.D stage 4. I'm guessing by now you are going through the thick of it, repeated hospital visits and getting loads of information handed to you. I currently dialyze my aunt who has C.K.D stage 5 at home and can offer a friendly ear if you have any questions or just looking for someone to talk to whose going through something similar.
Elyse_1508 wrote:Hi all, Sorry for jumping on your post Lauren. My dad has also been diagnosed with stage 5 CKD too. He has just had an appointment with the renal unit and because of other medical problems ( heart disease) dialysis is not an option. The doctor has recommended conservative management ??? If anyone out there could please explain exactly what it means. Is it another word for palliative care ? Any information will be appreciated . Thanks in advance x
Hello Elyse_1508 Im sorry to hear about you're father. I know I'm late to the topic and you will have already got the answer you need from the hospital staff. If you ever need to talk further on the subject, i'd be happy to help.
Hi Shaun
I have only just seen your reply . My dad's latest blood results came back with a slight improvement. He has gone up a stage . I didn't know that could happen? At the moment he is really struggling to walk ( he uses a Zimmer frame ) he says his legs just won't support him . Is this a symptom of CKD ?? He had polio as a young child and was paralysed from the waist down but eventually recovered . He's worried may have post polio syndrome.Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance .
I don't know if this is reassuring, but my friend's father has had CKD stage 4 for years! he has a catheter, but does not need dialysis. He's been stable for several years now. (Sadly, he has dementia alas.)
Elyse_1508 wrote:Hi Shaun
I have only just seen your reply . My dad's latest blood results came back with a slight improvement. He has gone up a stage . I didn't know that could happen? At the moment he is really struggling to walk ( he uses a Zimmer frame ) he says his legs just won't support him . Is this a symptom of CKD ?? He had polio as a young child and was paralysed from the waist down but eventually recovered . He's worried may have post polio syndrome.Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance .
Hi Elyse,

I'm glad to hear his kidney function has increased slightly, things like this can happen without warning as is the nature of CKD. Hopefully sticking to the advice you both received is working well for him. When my aunt was first diagnosed with CKD it was only stage 3, they would call her in for regular 3 month visits to the local renal unit and get blood tests done. During that time we noticed her kidney function fluctuate quite a lot. one month it could be working at about 26% others it would be down to about 18% normal function. The problem my aunt had was she kept getting a lot of infections through a recurring sore on her foot. For anyone with renal issues, antibiotics are not a kidney's best friend and neither is infection. In the end the infection got to bad as most doctors were scared to treat incase renal told them off, and she ended up on hospital with a serious infection and had to stay in for 3 months. It was only then did her kidney drop low enough to need dialysis, since then due to repeated infections and antibiotic cycles has she ended up at stage 5. She does her best to not let it bother her though. As for your other comment about him struggling to stand. it could be kidney related as my aunt used to be able to physically transfer her upper body herself from her wheelchair to her bed and so forth. Since she needed dialysis she has become very weak in all areas. Some days she can only just hold her self up in a seated position for a short while. I would ask the next time you have an appointment, just to see what the professionals think.

I hope this helps you a little, i'm sorry i couldn't give you a clear answer about his legs.
Shaun
jenny lucas wrote:I don't know if this is reassuring, but my friend's father has had CKD stage 4 for years! he has a catheter, but does not need dialysis. He's been stable for several years now. (Sadly, he has dementia alas.)
Hi Jenny,

What you said is spot on, It's very possible to stay at CKD stage 4 and not need to do dialysis at all.
It depends on the functioning level of his kidney(s) If they are above 13% they don't really like to start someone on dialysis unless they have too. My aunt only has one kidney so her need to dialyze was greater than someone with two kidneys, i've got my fingers crossed for him staying at stage 4. ( Especially now if he has dementia, bless him.)
My friend says his dementia means he's constantly 'surprised' that he has a catheter, and tells her that it's very new, and then wants to detach it....hey ho!
That has just put a huge smile on my face, thanks Jenny :)
(I now have a mental image of the repeated attempts of him reaching for it then looking all innocent as your friend tries to plead with him not to just pull it out. ) All joking aside, It must get frustrating though for your friend who must somedays feel like just screaming and saying a lot of those swear words under her breath.
It must be a nice comfort for her to be able to talk to you about a lot of things and vice versa.
Yes, they have these little 'loop' conversations every morning when she helps him get up and about. He's surprised he has a catheter, and tells her he's never had one up till now, and she says, yes, dad, you've had one for years.....and no, you can't detach it, it has to stay there....

(He also thinks he's only been staying with her for a couple of weeks....he's been there years!) :)
Hi Shaun &Jenny
Thank you both for your replies.
My dad too has a catheter and has mild dementia he to says exactly the same thing !! Lol .He has another appointment with the renal unit in December so I will ask about his mobility issues. He now lives in a care home and the staff put him in a wheelchair to go to the lounge and dining room. Although it is only a short distance he now can't make it . But other than that he hasn't got any other symptoms of CKD .