[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
emergency help - Carers UK Forum

emergency help

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
brother ( carer) in critical ward. what help can I get immediately for sister-in- law ( caree ) who lives 100 miles away
Hi Peter.

There should be an Emergency Unit inside the Social Services department of the Local Authority.

That would be my first call.

Many LA's are listed through an Internet search ... SOCIAL SERVICES EMERGENCY TEAMS.
Ring the local office of Social Services. Depending on the needs of Sister in Law (SIL) she can either have the option of emergency carers, emergency respite care in a care or nursing home, or hospital.
Probably a bit late but the hospital should have social workers who can get this sorted for you. Hope your brother gets well soon.
I was advised to contact *The Princess Royal Trust* to cover for me in case of any emergency, they came and made a very thorough assessment of what would be required if I was suddenly incapable of caring for my wife. I think they only cover Hampshire, and it's only for a couple of days, but It's reassuring to know that it's in place in the event that it's required.

https://carercentre.com/index.php/how-w ... y-planning
I don't think it's only Hampshire, I think they're nationwide. I think they renamed themselves Carers' Trust but are often still called Princess Royal ...
Good call , Ayjay !


Emergency schemes for carers.

Date Revised: 07/02/19

Many local carer services and local councils offer carer schemes where an emergency plan can be put into action if you have a caring emergency.

Most of these schemes are free.

How do the schemes work ?

Each of the schemes will work slightly differently so check with your local carer service about what is available where you live.

Usually you willl need to carry a card with you at all times. In an emergency, anyone who finds this card will know you are a carer and that there is someone relying on your support.

( Card ? No definition on the CT site as to what this is ! )

They can ring the phone number on the card and that will go through to a 24-hour-a-day call centre. The call centre will have your emergency plan that says what you would like to happen in the event of an emergency.

This may be as simple as calling someone else you know who can care for the person you usually look after until you are better. Some schemes include some emergency care from your local council but check with the scheme where you live.

These schemes don't usually cover you if you have something planned, such as an appointment, and need short-term replacement care.

Next update due: February 2020

INTERNET SEARCH ... CARERS TRUST CENTRES ( ADD YOUR MANOR ) ... a case of pinning down one's local one !

( Adding WORKSOP gives me NOTTINGHAM AND SHEFFIELD ... hardly local ... 30 / 40 minutes by train , then bus ? )

Despite being a separate ... and often rival organisation ... in this instance , vital for CUK to made this known to us !!!

Another case of US having to dig for vital information that should have been readily available !!!

There is only ONE Carerland , why TWO organisations ?

Are the sticking plasters any different ?
As I understand it the Hampshire ones come to you so it doesn't matter how far away you are.
In an emergency situation ... I would presume " Yes. "

Going back to my caring days ... now more than a decade ago ... Essex then Suffolk ... it was a case of getting
yourself to them ... 18 / 46 miles respectively.

( Now a separate thread for the Carers Trust Emergency Scheme ... thanks initially to Ayjay : https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... rers-37095 )
I was told they come to you for the planning too.