[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Elderly parents won't engage with agencies - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Elderly parents won't engage with agencies

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
A picture tells a thousand words. Can you manage to take any telling photographs about their home situation?
Record anything said?
Thanks Alison_2001, Henrietta, Bowling bun - good ideas, I didn't think about photos.

A welfare officer is seeing them this week & a social worker linked to the GP is seeing them next week.Fingers crossed.
Good, that sounds like a few steps in the right direction.
Thanks for the update!
Oh yes I know this one. My mother right up to the end thought that I was there to look after her morning noon and night. She was of an age that considered it a daughters duty.
Yes Safeguarding is the drum to beat but I'm afraid that Social Services are so stretched that if it looks like someone gives a damn then they will give it a miss.
My friend is currently in hospital after an emergency operation, she's her mother(who had dementia)'s carer, social services aren't interested even though her mother only has a cleaner that comes in twice a week seeing her. There's nobody else to see she's okay or to see she gets food. Probably if she sets the house on fire someone will notice
In Hampshire, there is an emergency carer scheme, so that if you suddenly can't care for someone, they know all about you and your caree and provide 48 hours emergency care until something else can be arranged.