[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Elderly parent refusing help - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Elderly parent refusing help

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
No, there is nothing more you can do for her. She has made it abundantly clear to you she is quite happy living in her love nest with her man as it is. She will one day wake up and smell the coffee, but only when she decides and I'm certain you'll be the first to hear about it.

In the meantime, there is something you can do for the unfortunate neighbours, whose health and safety is at risk, due to your mother in laws blinkered attitude with them around her other than her love of her life.

Major fire hazard to her neighbours so inform the fire brigade of the situation, who'll act swiftly, and inform the SS teams.

Vermin infestation contact the Anti Social Behaviour Team who will follow it through with an ASBO issued if not cleaned up, together with a further referral to the SS team.

Gas Safety Inspection. This has to be carried out yearly by law. Find out when it was last done as they have the power of entry if necessary. Again they will pass on the info to SS teams.

You do not have to get directly involved, but it will certainly put the case high on the SS team radar, with three reports, and hopefully as a bonus make your loved one realise things have to change. Change by order of the authorities not by you.
Very good recommendation!

Sadly, your mum's situation is not unique - other elderly 'confused' folk live on their own, at an ongoing hazard to themselves and their neighbours.

Wouldn't it be nice if the ghastly husband went under a bus any time soon! Can't say he doesn't deserve it!
Thank you so much for all your advice, I don’t know what I would of done if I hadn’t of found you all. We are in the process of arranging a family meeting to try and discuss where to go from here. Now I no the options we have hopefully we will get mum the help she so desperately needs. I do feel if nothing is done mum will die in this terrible situation. Thank you once again for all of your support. x
I do hope you'll all be able to resolve this situation. Presumably your mum simply does not want to acknowledge the painful truth about her dreadful 'other half'.....many badly treated women are similar (sigh).

What 'everyone else' can see as plain as day is not what they see (ie, what they hope for ....)