[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Elderly Aunt - Crisis - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Elderly Aunt - Crisis

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Lynn_19121 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:12 pm
. But as I understand it, if someone is judged to have capacity then they cannot be forced to do something they do not wish to do.
That includes looking after elderly relatives that need more care than one person can reasonably be expected to provide.

There comes a point where the elderly have to accept either outside help or move to a residential home, what they want becomes secondary to what they need.

No-one can be forced to look after any other person, no matter what the relationship.
Your brother cannot be forced to care. Does he really understand this?
If he uses the internet, encourage him to join us here.
Thank you, I have told him (having read that very useful advice on the forum many times before) that neither of us has any legal responsibility to provide care for her, and cannot be forced to do so. He says he will not bow to any pressure to do that as he must put the needs of his own family first (and I support him completely in that) but I don't like to think of him having to fight the kind of battles so many of you have faced and are still facing. Anyway, at the moment there is no question of her going anywhere as she is too ill.