[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Newbie Needing advice please - Carers UK Forum

Newbie Needing advice please

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi there. I am currently working as a personal assistant carer for a 24 year old Physically disabled man....

I am really looking for some advice....

I have been caring for this person for 19months and over the last 14 months things have got bad. I mean severely bad as in sexual harrassment and indecent acts. He knows what he is doing is very wrong, I have spoken to him and other family members on several occasions but it still continues..

it is now at the stage where i dont want to continue working for him, but i love my job..

Is there anybody who could advise me on how else i could maybe resolve this issue i am having?

Kind regards...

P.s I dont work for a agency. he is my employer
how dare he!! i wouldnt put up with it. And i bet hes using his dissablity to emotionaly manipulate ya. Why oh why are u still in that job
how dare he!! i wouldnt put up with it. And i bet hes using his dissablity to emotionaly manipulate ya. Why oh why are u still in that job
I Know, it took me a year to speak up, it got so bad i had to... the reason i am still there is i love the job i do, I have 2 kids the hours are perfect and the wages are good. I like to get a break from kids etc

Yes he Physically disabled Not mentally, he knows exactly what he is doing. It has came to stage where his parents are expecting me to resolve it.. Which i would like to do if i can....

I spoke to him on sat. I told him this has to STOP i feel so uncomfotable, if you are finding it hard then maybe u should get another carer, he never replied to that. I told him to send me a email during the week about what he thinks, i have not heard nothing back as yet. Image
hello scotslasszoe

welcome to the forum Image
maybe he will listen to you this time, i hope so.

krys
Hi Zoe,

I am sure there is a link somewhere for paid personal assistants who need advice.I cant find it just now but have emailed a few people to see if they have it.

In the meantime, are you employed privately or does he pay you with money supplied by your local council.The reason I ask, is that although I am a family carer I work as a PA too and as such I was told that if any problems occur with in my job I was to contact Soc Services who can act as an advocate and help sort any issues.Bottom line is this should not be happening and needs resolved asap.

If you use google Zoe, type in....sexual harrassment at work...you will get many links to further information.

Rosemary
Hi Zoe, I suggest you firmly and politely let your employer know that you have him by the short and curlies and can take him to a tribunal for unlimited damages ... ouch!

[quote]Sexual harassment has been defined as “unwanted conduct based on s*x affecting the dignity of women and men at workâ€Â
Thank you for the replies...

Yes i am hoping this time it stops. Nightmare situation. I called The Human Rights Commission yesterday, explained what had been happening and she said what he is doing is a Criminal offence and to either call the police or leave, Image

So far i am ment to be working again on Friday evening unless i get a email stating not to come (still not heard) will see what happens or what is said.

Thank you again for listening, really feel like i have no one to talk to about this
Hi Zoe

Sorry to hear of your employment situation. I hope some of the posts will be of some use. However this isn't really the right forum for this, as Carers UK is about unpaid carers.

What you really need is a trade union but I don;t know what union is best.

There are also regulatory bodies that should provide standards that need to be adhered to. You should try looking at the General Social Care Council website http://www.gscc.org.uk they are the body that set standards for workers in the social care industry

You could also try the commission for Social Care Inspection website for social care professionals
http://www.csci.org.uk/professional/car ... _care.aspx
0845 015 0120 helpline is open from 8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday.

Finally there is a forum that is aimed at people who work in social care at
https://www.connectingforcare.co.uk/

Matt
Matt - can someone please change the stupid robot that changes the word "s$x" into a string of *******'s ?
Done.
Matt - can someone please change the stupid robot that changes the word "s$x" into a string of *******'s ?
Done.
Great, thanks. Its a normal word after all, and we aren't Victorians or prudes here.