[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Respite Care ??? - Carers UK Forum

Respite Care ???

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
I wonder if anyone can offer any pointers towards getting any respite care.
My granddaughter has severe disabilities and although the child nurse is involved and much financial assistance is coming her way there is nothing in terms of respite care affording my daughter some life of her own.
I help out as much as I can but I am the sole carer for my elderly and infirm husband.
My daughter is alone, her husband being in full time residential care following an accident and is tetraplagic, she has a small son who at the age of three has no childhood at all virtually.
It is hard to convey that money does not solve all of the problems associuated with caring and just some time out is worth more than can be gauged in terms of cash. I see my daughter becoming suicidal with her lot and am concerned for her but her own life does not feature in any of the equations,.
She is so desperate that she is considering looking into full time residential care for my graddaughter who doesnt sleep, has difficult to control epilepsy, autism along with other associated difficulties.
Does anyone have any experience of finding respite care for children that they could share please?
I don't have any advice on this Bella, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to help.
I just want to send you and your daughter special hugs, I hope there is some help out there.

Bluebird
Hi Bella,

Welcome to the forum.

When you have time take a look at these links

Taking a break from caring

Direct Payments

I would suggest you also give Carers Line a call

CarersLine is staffed by experts and has years of experience of dealing with the problems carers face. We provide free and confidential information and advice
the services available for carers, and how to complain effectively and challenge decisions.
Our freephone number is 0808 808 7777 and we are open on Wednesday and Thursday 10am -12pm and 2pm - 4pm.

If she is getting financial help already I assume this is from Social Services? If so you can ask them to come out to do a reassessment of the situation.

To be honest you will be best phoning the Carers Line though.It is confidential and always better talking one to one than relying on typed words.

What area are you from? We could also see if you have a local carers group near you.That way you will find out easier about any local facilities.

Rosemary
x
Thank you very much indeed Rosemary.
I am going to get my daughter to come over and phone from here because she can talk at length about what sort of respite might be best etc. if at all possible.
I appreciate you taking the time to make these references and advice.
Bless You Rosemary.
Bella.
Do you know if you have a local carers group/centre?

This link will tell you if you dont know. Local groups

Click on the map for your own area.

Contacting a local group your daughter will possibly find other parents who may have been through this.At the very least they may be able to advise if any respite places locally.
Soc services should have a list too.
Gather as much information as possible and then stand your ground.Situation as it is cannot be expected to continue.
Thank you again, I am truly grateful to you Rosemary, it is a very desperate situation indeed.
Thank you Bluebird too, bless you both
Hi Bella,

Sending you love and hugs.

Karen xx
Thank you KAren : )
Hi Bella, welcome to the forum Image