[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dementia plus Parkinsonism - Carers UK Forum

Dementia plus Parkinsonism

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi Jennifer and welcome to the forum
I would guess this is a symptom of the Parkinsons, but is his neurologist not helpful?
What sort of dementia does he have, as you can get dementia due to Parkinsons.
Hi Jennifer, welcome to the forum.
Hi Jennifer, my hubby today has been diagnosed with dementia plus parkinsonism. If u want to send me a msg u r welcome.
Hello, Jennifer. One form of dementia, known as Lewy Body Dementia, is closely related to Parkinson's Disease: I believe that 'Lewy bodies' are present in both. They are protein plaques in the brain that interfere with the transmission of information, the connections in the brain. My husband suffered from LBD, and he also experienced some of the physical signs of Parkinson's, namely the poor balance, shuffling gait, hand tremor, jerky muscular movements, and a characteristic 'blank' facial expression.
In your husband's case, I would say that these physical symptoms are the Parkinsonian ones, while any mental confusion or memory problems are the 'dementia' symptoms. But the overlap is such that there is little point in trying to distinguish between them.
My husband benefited considerably during the earlier phases of his illness from medication, specifically Rivastigmine.
My best wishes to you and your husband.
Tristesa