[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dad wants to come home - Carers UK Forum

Dad wants to come home

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Dad was living with mum until a visit to hospital where he has lost his mobility He wants to come home but the family have said mum won’t cope I have offered to give up my job and help m also my sister has said she can help we are both qualified nurses myself 20 years experience in elderly care unfortunately because my 3 other siblings (one having POA over his care needs ) don’t get on with me they are saying he can’t because I wouldn’t cope ! I’m struggling to accept this as my sister and I have cared for Dad for the last 15 years Mum says she wants him home but won’t go against the others . My question is does Dad have the right to choose he has expressed to me it’s what he wants. Due to 3 strokes his speech is affected but given time he’s able to answer questions asked .
Hi Colleen!

Your dad can express a desire but he might be prevented from making that real by circumstances. The POA doesn't bind you but family decisions might. Do you live in the house? Does anyone live with your mum and dad?

What ails him? Is it a progressive illness or is it temporary (such as a break)? In other words, are we talking life-long care for your dad or a temporary situation? How old is he? What are his needs?

Is the loss of mobility permanent? If you and your sister did care for him, would this represent a change in the care you need to give him?

What's your mum's health like?