[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hello - Carers UK Forum

Hello

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hello, I'm Angela, I'm 19, I'm from Clydebank. I live with my parents and my two brothers who are 14 and 12(nearly 13), who both have Autism. My 14 year old brother also has complexed medical problems. I've helped take care of my brothers along with my parents since i was 5 years old. When I'm not at College or helping my mum and dad with my brothers, I'm at my grandmother's helping her with day to day tasks as she has been wheelchair bound since Jan 07 when she became unwell with a perforated duodenal ulcer.

I've joined this site because I feel like everyone here will be able to understand me, not like my friends who think i should just get on with my life and not help care for my family.
Welcome aboard Angela!

Perhaps your friends mean well but don't realise how you feel about helping your family? I have two sons - one has severe autism - and my eldest has sometimes taken on responsibility for his brother that my wife and I would prefer he didn't. But he does it to give us a chance to have a break from time to time...and, rather guiltily, we do.

Have a good wander around the forum and the main website - hope you enjoy popping in regularly!
Hi Angela and welcome
Loads of really good people on here to help and talk to
Hi Angela, my daughter could relate to your childhood and teenage years. My wife Jill has had depression and nervous breakdowns all our married life. She like you has helped out all her life. She is nearly 42 now. Her friends used to tell her the same thing, that she shouldn't be doing so much to help at home and should just get on with her own life. They just have no idea do they?

Well I think your a star like my daughter. There's lots of lovely people to listen and help you on here.

Take care

Pete
Hello, I'm Angela, I'm 19, I'm from Clydebank. I live with my parents and my two brothers who are 14 and 12(nearly 13), who both have Autism. My 14 year old brother also has complexed medical problems. I've helped take care of my brothers along with my parents since i was 5 years old. When I'm not at College or helping my mum and dad with my brothers, I'm at my grandmother's helping her with day to day tasks as she has been wheelchair bound since Jan 07 when she became unwell with a perforated duodenal ulcer.

I've joined this site because I feel like everyone here will be able to understand me, not like my friends who think i should just get on with my life and not help care for my family.
Hello Angela,

Glad to see another youngster has joined, I'm 20 I care for my fiance and study Law at uni.

You're obviously an experienced carer as you've been caring since you were 5 and I only started caring for my fiance last year.

I know exactly what you mean about friends not understanding, sometimes trying to explain my situation to them is more stressful than the actual caring role.

In my experiences i've found some people in our age group do not understand or respect those who think or act differently. Personally, I think it's down to a lack of understanding about the impact of caring, if people were actually to see or experiences what you have to deal with as a carer they'd think differently. If you want any more advice or just a chat add me on MSN if you have it Alexr115@excite.com or drop me PM on here.

The people on this website are fantastic and they are great and providing help and support.

Regards,
Alex
Hi Angela nice to meet you and welcome to the forum Image
hello angela

welcome to the forum Image

krys
Hi Angela Image