caring for elderly parents

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Relatives who do nothing as a rule, and then turn up to tell us what MORE we should be doing are called "Helicopters" here! I had two brothers like that.
Brilliant list Diane :D
Not only a great list but a list to use to ponder what the consequences are if these activities of daily living do not get done in a timely, safe and complete and dependable manner and then use the outcomes as basis for social needs assessments and request. Very useful!
This list needs to be save somewhere on the forum. Especially helpful when Social Service are looking at "assessed needs" for the caree, as well as carer tasks. So often, Social Services just deal with what I call "Puppy Feeding", turning up now and then to provide food and water and a quick check to see things are OK. My housebound mum owned her house, a large 3 bed bungalow. All SSD provided was getting up out of bed, a hot drink, a hot meal, and being put to bed. Staff wouldn't even go into the garden and pick fresh raspberries for her meal!
Even when SSD carers go in three times a day, there's no time for all the other jobs that need doing in a house. So I would always recommend getting SSD staff for the basics, there are still lots of jobs left for "someone" else!
For many , add in the wheelchair element.

Miles per week clocked up and unexpected repairs being just two from my own time as a carer ... steering with one hand whilst holding an umbrella over caree was always akin to a circus act.

For a few in 2018 , the difficulty in using public transport adding additional costs and time to any journeys.

Said List ... time for a NEW 2018 definition of a family carer ... following on from the HOSPITAL DISCHARGE thread.
Not sure if this is going to make you feel any better but you're not alone.
Yes I get carers allowance, which frankly is a joke. I look after my mother (instead of the state) for 53p/ hour. Assuming of course I ONLY provide 35 hours cover. This means the STATE pays me woefully less than the minimum wage for doing their job. OK, I understand the Government wants to keep their costs down, but the long and short of it is that they are employing slave labour.

Some of us don’t trust the system to provide for our families the support given by the Government, which is basically nothing.

These elder people paid into the system, now it is time to call in the debt. You’d think.... right. Nah! The Government want your money, even if you can’t stand upright. They will steal your money, run away and 4 years later disappear..... on what? a political point.

I served my country for 13 years (and 35 days)..... Where is my support from the people I put my risk for ar?
Mark_1811 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:20 pm
Yes I get carers allowance, which frankly is a joke. I look after my mother (instead of the state) for 53p/ hour. Assuming of course I ONLY provide 35 hours cover. This means the STATE pays me woefully less than the minimum wage for doing their job.
Wait until you draw your State Pension - the Carers Allowance goes out of the window and you do it for nothing.
Is anyone still monitoring this thread? It so rings true to me. I'm interested that now these posts are a year old, how your situation has progressed.
I have just come across this thread. I co-cared my Mum for 3 years until she died aged 96 three and a half years ago. The effect of her loss has not left me but I now have my 92 year old father to care for. He started going down hill directly after Mums death.
I sometimes wonder how long I can carry on, as we have now reached the point of personal care. The question I have is how do I bathe him, it is embarrassing for both of us.