[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Reaching out for support - Carers UK Forum

Reaching out for support

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi my name is Julie. I’m currently in a placement caring 24/7 for 87 yr old lady with dementia. I’m struggling as no breaks and not much support from family. Having some hard days. Especially today. Just wanted to reach out to someone who understands. Thanks
Hi Julie and welcome!

Can/do you want to share anything your are particularly struggling with. There are a lots of people on the forum who have loads of experience in this area.

Why are there no breaks for you in place?

The person you care for family must provide you with some support.
Hi Julie,

This is a forum for UNPAID family carers. Presumably your "placement" is paid?
Yes, is it. however...

We are all in this together!!

I feel if we can help we should show empathy. And at least sign post people on in positive way. This can only be done by asking questions.

As a carer of 40+ years, at one time supporting FIVE carees, all entitled to highest DLA, with prostate cancer, bowel cancer, heart issues, dementia, chronic arthritis, to name just a few of their complaints, my reaction was "welcome to my world"!

We have more than enough problems of our own to deal with right now. As a paid employee, there should be a contract of employment etc. etc. As a pensioner I don't even qualify for Carers Allowance now! We can't even get our own management to respond to some of our issues right now.