[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
carers pay - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

carers pay

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
We ALL need to get professional advice: there are so many wrong assumptions in the above posts that I can't reply to each individually, and anyway I'm no expert: but just for starters, my son gets ESA and has never paid a penny in tax or NI, and yes you can claim Carers Allowance and also disability benefits in your own right - certainly DLA but possibly not ESA.
I'd really like CUK's advisors to answer money questions on the forum. I'm sure it would reduce their workload and help lots of carers too.
bowlingbun wrote:I'd really like CUK's advisors to answer money questions on the forum. I'm sure it would reduce their workload and help lots of carers too.

I would have thought it would do the opposite, to answer posts on a forum would take much needed time away from the advice line. I can't see how it could work in practice either, for the same reasons all organisations giving monetary advice, such as CAB, do it over the phone or in person. More information may be required and to get the best advice, surely it's better to give, often detailed info, over the phone?
ladybird wrote:
bowlingbun wrote:I'd really like CUK's advisors to answer money questions on the forum. I'm sure it would reduce their workload and help lots of carers too.

I would have thought it would do the opposite, to answer posts on a forum would take much needed time away from the advice line. I can't see how it could work in practice either, for the same reasons all organisations giving monetary advice, such as CAB, do it over the phone or in person. More information may be required and to get the best advice, surely it's better to give, often detailed info, over the phone?
The Carers Advice Line is now available Monday - Friday, 10am - 4pm - their contact details are here:
http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/talk-to-us

The Advice Line is only a small team of experts and, unfortunately, the service is currently oversubscribed - which is why it is better to email your query (include a telephone number), it may take a few days but they will get back to you.

As Ladybird has pointed out it really isn't feasible for them to answer individual queries on the forum as they will need personal and specific details to be able to provide relevant answers.
Well thats true of specific individual queries but not in terms of the general rules, though in fact those are most answered already in the benefits part of the website itself. https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... al-support

e.g., on the ESA question:

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

ESA is for people whose ability to work is limited by their ill-health or disability and carers may be eligible if they have their own health problems as well as caring responsibilities. ESA can either be means-tested or based on National Insurance contributions you have made through previous work.
Yes, it was the specific enquiries I had in mind Scally. I'm wondering why the info about emailing specific enquiries and the time frame for response hasnt yet been included on the main website - maybe the answerphone message has now been changed to include that info? Hopefully it has. :)
ladybird wrote:Yes, it was the specific enquiries I had in mind Scally. I'm wondering why the info about emailing specific enquiries and the time frame for response hasnt yet been included on the main website - maybe the answerphone message has now been changed to include that info? Hopefully it has. :)
Parts of the main website are being overhauled in the near future and I believe the information will be more prominent after the changes are made.
I was thinking of perhaps a generalised question and answer section.

Using a few recent examples, this is the sort of thing I envisaged. Please don't shoot me down in flames for the poor quality of the questions, they are just ideas to get the ball rolling, so to speak. I'm sure the helpline could de personalise some of their easier questions to help many others, and in doing so, reduce the overall workload of the helpline.

Now I know that lots of these things are answered in detail from the Help and Advice section, but it seems from recent questions on the forum that either people are not referring to the H&A section, I don't know if it's because they don't realise it's there, or whether they can't find the information they want. Personally, I didn't like the way the section was reorganised last year.

Q: Can I claim CA for myself when both my wife and I receive DLA?

Q: Is there any point claiming CA when I'm already on ESA?

Q: As my partner has now been awarded DLA, and I'm on ESA, does this mean I'm going to get more money?

Q: Please can you explain what a Carer Premium is?
Scally wrote:We ALL need to get professional advice: there are so many wrong assumptions in the above posts that I can't reply to each individually, and anyway I'm no expert: but just for starters, my son gets ESA and has never paid a penny in tax or NI, and yes you can claim Carers Allowance and also disability benefits in your own right - certainly DLA but possibly not ESA.
I totally agree that most members would probably be advised to obtain expert / professional advice since individual circumstances will differ from person to person.

E.g. whilst your son receives non-contribution based ESA, my wife most definitely would not receive it.

The nature of forums is that there is a vast differential in both knowledge & understanding of the system amongst the membership.
In reply to :- Q: Is there any point claiming CA when I'm already on ESA?

I am a carer for my disabled son but I also claim esa for myself as I have rheumatoid arthritis. As far as I'm aware, you cannot claim ca if you are claiming esa for yourself.
Esa stops when you are 65 (?) and then it all changes.
If anyone knows any different please let me know.

Thanks lesley