[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
carers pay - Carers UK Forum

carers pay

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hello everyone
Just joined this site today.

Even though it is budget day I need to get something off my chest as I doubt there will be anything in the budget for us carers.

As a carer it makes me feel not counted when the government speaks about the national average wage or the minimum wage, which is currently £6.50 per hour, whereas as a carer I receive £61.35 per week carers allowance. As you have to care for 35 hours a week to qualify for that benefit, that makes my worth a paltry £1.75 per hour wage. That is disgusting.

Apprentice rates in the very first year earn £2.73 per hour – that too will be increased in April 2015.

We are ‘supposed’ to be happy as carers that the amount of money that one can earn per week whilst caring is to be raised to £110 per week. Well good luck with that, apart from the fact that as a carer giving round the clock care, what employer would want that quality in an employee – who has the time, if one is caring fully and properly for the 35 hours plus – what time is left – if us carers even have any – to fit a job in!

Carers are usually in that role because it is the loved ones that we care for, usually members of our family. We do not want them to go into a nursing home – average cost of a elderly or disabled person in a care home – runs from approx £600 for council run homes to £1000+ in private care homes. So realistically I am saving the government over £550 per week.

It also costs the NHS over £250 a day to keep an elderly patient in hospital, this rises to over £2000 in an acute bed situation. Once again, as a carer I feel keeping the person that I care for as healthy and as happy as I possibly can is saving this country thousands of pounds.

Years ago there was talk of raising the carers allowance to £100 a week, that still isn’t on a par with the national minimum wage – but it is a small recompense for the work that we do. That never materialized. Most carers like myself, have given up careers to care, so we lose a lot more than monetary sacrifices. Everything in my life is compromised from the pension I will receive should I live to pensionable wage, my financial situation as I use my savings to supplement my carers allowance and to provide for the person I care for.

We need a voice, and organizations such as Carers UK help us with advice etc., but we cannot continue on such a degrading payment. We are holding our families together, over £6 million of us.

We should have recognition for the work we do.
Recognition for the role we carry out.
Recognition by fair financial recompense.

Thanks. Annie
Annie,

Well said. I so agree with your comments. The money we get is !"£$% - I was having a look at the local Care Groups pay rate and it is £7.80 per hour - also they say 'Experience is not essential, only attendance at a 3 day training course!

So I support any 'shouts' or 'calls' for something to happen.

By the way it is not foggy outside but the steam coming out of my ears!

Well done Annie and welcome.

Viv
Agree.

I'm sure this isn't the first time this subject has been raised.
So what exactly is there to be done about it?
ann_1503 wrote:Hello everyone
Just joined this site today.

Even though it is budget day I need to get something off my chest as I doubt there will be anything in the budget for us carers.

As a carer it makes me feel not counted when the government speaks about the national average wage or the minimum wage, which is currently £6.50 per hour, whereas as a carer I receive £61.35 per week carers allowance. As you have to care for 35 hours a week to qualify for that benefit, that makes my worth a paltry £1.75 per hour wage.

Thanks. Annie
Would you like to swap your 'paltry' £61.35pw for my big fat £zero pw?
Now I'm a pensioner I don't get anything either. My younger son with severe learning difficulties has a good Direct Payments package, which I administer. I can use it to pay anyone else between £10 and £15 per hour. But I'm not allowed to pay myself even one penny. Every so often I fill up my car fuel tank to claim the miles I drive. We can use the DP's to rent a cottage for the week, not pay me anything though. How can this be fair?
Hi Ann,

Welcome to the forum!

Bell x
I posted this on an attendance allowance thread but it seems more appropriate here.

I don't get CA as I'm over 65 & my wife doesn't get AA as she's under 65.

I also don't get the adult dependant part of the State Pension as we got married after April 2010 when it ceased so I'm a married man with a single person's State Pension but funnily enough I'm not classed as single for council tax purposes.

Also a student can get an adult dependant grant of up to £2757!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about a triple whammy. Lol !!

https://www.gov.uk/adult-dependants-grant/overview
I have cared for my son for 25 years and only for a short period ( when I studied part time ) could I claim ca. I can no longer work due to my own disability, so I claim esa, there fore I cannot claim ca. So, all my adult life I have been a carer to my severely disabled son and received virtually nothing. Overall, it's possible I have saved the gov over a million!!!!
Caravanj - from what you have previously said your wife should be able to get DLA and ESA(support group) . Hubby gets both and neither of them are means tested. If she is turned down, then appeal.
crocus wrote:Caravanj - from what you have previously said your wife should be able to get DLA and ESA(support group) . Hubby gets both and neither of them are means tested. If she is turned down, then appeal.
Hi Crocus,

My wife gets DLA but she wouldn't get ESA as she hasn't sufficient N I contributions & I get a private pension so we're wiped out for any means-tested benefits.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-a ... -youll-get