[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
I'm new and feel bullied by professionals - Carers UK Forum

I'm new and feel bullied by professionals

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi, I'm a full time carer for my mother following my redundancy almost 3 years ago. Prior to that I was able to work mornings in an office and work from home in the afternoons for 4 years, and had social services carers 4 times a day for the previous 2 years.

We've just had major work done by the local council and I'm still putting straight - which all the caring professionals don't seem to believe. 2 Nurses came 2 weeks ago and asked Mam if she would like carers in a morning to get her washed and dressed and she said no - that answer was not acceptable so they kept asking and asking till she said yes! I had to leave the room I was so upset. Social services have now done a capacity test on Mam which she failed, so now I feel between a rock and a hard place - I'm trying to put straight - and how many times do I have to say I don't want help by having people come in to de-clutter the place - and keep Mam happy - she doesn't want strangers coming in - she says she only agreed so they'd go away!!!!! As for the capacity test, she admits that to some extent she switched off cos she just wants to be left alone!?! She's happy for me to look after her, and to be honest if they just cleared off we'd get more done and we'd both be happy. Sorry for the rant! Image Image Image
Hi Suban,

Welcome to the forum.

It might be worthwhile speaking to someone on our Adviceline - it's staffed by experts who will be able to advise you on your rights. More info and contact details here: http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... dvice-line

Hope that helps,
Lucy
If the services offered seem inappropriate, then I'd suggest you ask for a direct payment instead, which can be used much more flexibly and at better value for money. For example rather than use expensive childrens respite (@ £3,000 a week) we employ peer-supporters and let the boys enjoy more normal, age appropriate and adventurous holiday breaks such as ski-ing in France and hiking in the Canaries.
Hi and welcome Image
Hi and welcome to the Forum.Hope you find it useful and fun. Image Image Image