[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Can you work and be a carer? - Carers UK Forum

Can you work and be a carer?

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
I have just returned to my civil service job after a 5 yr career break, I neveer intended to be off so long , it escalated with having to change my daughters school and our La makin me transport her.
I feel like I am being forced to resign.
My line manager lies and is the most manipulative person I have ever meet. Ie she rang me at 9.20pm on sunday to order to attend a training course she said shed emailed me about - when I got there(3 hr round trip) I found I hadnt even been booked on the course - it was like shes testing me.
There are loads of things like that - I work 9.30 to 2.30 and she wants me to work more and can get her head around the fact I work those hours so I can care for my daughter.

Has anyone else been bullied at work. I cant sleep at night and shes making me ill
I have just returned to my civil service job after a 5 yr career break, I neveer intended to be off so long , it escalated with having to change my daughters school and our La makin me transport her.
I feel like I am being forced to resign.
My line manager lies and is the most manipulative person I have ever meet. Ie she rang me at 9.20pm on sunday to order to attend a training course she said shed emailed me about - when I got there(3 hr round trip) I found I hadnt even been booked on the course - it was like shes testing me.
There are loads of things like that - I work 9.30 to 2.30 and she wants me to work more and can get her head around the fact I work those hours so I can care for my daughter.

Has anyone else been bullied at work. I cant sleep at night and shes making me ill
A mod like Matt might be able to help but a carers UK member was mistreated whilst at work and took her case to the ECJ and won and it ensured that Carers cant be discriminated in work http://www.carersuk.org/Aboutus/Whoarec ... ronColeman

call the Carers advice line as well if you want further advice about this
CarersLine T. 0808 808 7777
Wednesday and Thursday
10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm

welcome to the forum
The civil service has policies that are supposed to support carers who work for them. If you feel you are being victimised, check out the policies, go to your union (if you're a member) or go to your manager's boss.

Whatever you do, don't be a victim. And keep a record of everything.
You do have rights in the workplace. Have a read of these pages.
http://www.carersuk.org/Information/Workandcaring

We have booklets you can order. One is for Carers and the other one is aimed at employers. It might be worth getting the employers one and givign a copy to someone in your HR department. Could you talk to someone there about your boss?

The booklets can be downloaded here
http://www.carersuk.org/Information/Wor ... bleworking

Or send a PM to "Christine Carers UK" with your address and she'll send you copies. Or you can order over the phone at 0845 241 0963

If you want to speak to an advisor about this call Carers Line on 0808 808 7777.

Matt
I saw spoke to my doctor after my daughtrs appn today. She has signed me off work for a while - the relief is enormous.... Im so tired..
I plucked up the courage to ring work spoke to my boss to let her know. She rang me at home immediatley after wanting to know more.... I jus said my sicknote was in the post, Id told her everyhting and please dont ring me at home. I was shaking afterwards, why cant she just leave me alaone
So glad the doc is on your side, you just don't need the sort of hassle you are getting from work.
I work, but my boss is great, very supportive, couldn't do it otherwise.
And welcome to the forum.
welcome to the forum Image
welcome to the forum - I hope that you're getting some rest to build up your strength again. It sounds like harrassment to me! I'm sure that you'll be helped a lot by other members of this lovely site Image ((((((hugs)))))))
Hi there
Just wanted to say HI- I too work but have a very good employer and have requested a flexible working pattern which will fit around everything at home.
Its amazed me how some people at work just dont get it - they have no idea what you have to put up with as a carer and they think there lives are stressful! they should come and live with me for a few days!
I want to carry on working if I can -firstly for the money and also for my piece of mind
Dont take no more hassle from her and speak to her manager- you have enough stuff to put up with without taking flack from her!
Good luck and keep smiling - we all understand on here xxx
welcome to the site!

i wouldnt be able to work and be a carer, i miss putting on a suite and arguing with the tax office , however I wouldnt change my role for the world, ok i dont get much me time but if i iworked amy would suffer