Hello Everyone - I finished a Dementia Journey in January

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hello Everyone,
Earlier this year I finished a Dementia Journey with my Mum.

Mum ended her Dementia Journey on 31st January 2013. It was a journey that spanned many years and two hemispheres with her family in the UK and Australia (I live in Brisbane). Each one of Mum’s family and friends took their own Dementia Journey with her. Not one of those journeys was the same, each had their own twists and turns, highs and lows. Something that these journeys with Mum had in common (even through the tears) was smiles, love and laughter. This was Mum’s gift and her legacy to us all – and it’s the philosophy that underpins my blog Dementia Journeys - a social venture aiming to spread awareness of Dementia across the globe.

I'm hoping that in some small way I can offer support to those of you your own Dementia Journeys and perhaps share some of your stories on my blog too, if you're willing, to assist others on a similar journey.

In the meantime, thank you for reading this and always remember the smiles, love and laughter.
so sorry to read about your Mum,but I really love the way you have described the journey.
Four years ago,my younger son died suddenly due to complications of Type 1 Diabetes,and I have never found anywhere that explains it so well. We are each missing a different person, because each of us had a different relationship with him.His death means we are each taking a separate journey(although all of us are together and love and care about each other just as much as always)to find peace.
Thank you for writing as you have done, it made me smile. It sounds as though you have a warm and loving heart.
so sorry to read about your Mum,but I really love the way you have described the journey.
Four years ago,my younger son died suddenly due to complications of Type 1 Diabetes,and I have never found anywhere that explains it so well. We are each missing a different person, because each of us had a different relationship with him.His death means we are each taking a separate journey(although all of us are together and love and care about each other just as much as always)to find peace.
Thank you for writing as you have done, it made me smile. It sounds as though you have a warm and loving heart.
Thank you Lazydaisy, I'm sorry to hear about your son also. As a parent, I can think of nothing harder to cope with than the loss of a child. It sounds as though you have a wonderful family sharing in each others journey which is wonderful. Image
Hi, I am sorry to hear about your Mum, but it's good to hear you are able to focus on the happy memories you have.

I lost my Dad this year too, not to dementia but in a tragic accident. Looking through old photos and remembering funny stories about him helps me too.

Melly1
Hi, I am sorry to hear about your Mum, but it's good to hear you are able to focus on the happy memories you have.

I lost my Dad this year too, not to dementia but in a tragic accident. Looking through old photos and remembering funny stories about him helps me too.

Melly1
Hi Melly,
Thanks for the welcome and kind words. I'm sorry to ear about your Dad adn hope you are able to remember the smiles, love adn laughter too.

John
Dementia Journeys
Hi DJ - great to bump into you here! You know me better as ZkidooKreativ on Twitter. Image
Hi Martyn,
Good to see you hear too, thank you for recommending it too me.

There seems to be some great people around.

John
Dementia Journeys
hi welcome to forum
Hiya.... I spent 22 years of life in Aussie/was born and now lives in UK and am caring for my 89YO dad (dementia/bowel probs/poor mobility & circulation). I never made it up to Brisbane, but saw a lot of NSW and a bit of Vic/SA.
Hiya.... I spent 22 years of life in Aussie/was born and now lives in UK and am caring for my 89YO dad (dementia/bowel probs/poor mobility & circulation). I never made it up to Brisbane, but saw a lot of NSW and a bit of Vic/SA.
I spent the first 7 years after moving here from Devon in Sydney before coming up to Brisie 9 years ago.

Has Dementia caused the other health issues for your father, or are they separate?
hi welcome to forum
Hi Sunset, thank for the welcome Image