[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mum - Carers UK Forum

Mum

Tell us a bit about yourself here.

Mum

I don't think of myself as a carer. My Mum has 4 carers a day but I am the one she rings up at 3 in the morning and I have a full time job and nobody else to talk to.
Hi and welcome Image
Susan, Why is mum calling you at night?
My mum is widowed, disabled, and lives alone. She can't walk without a Zimmer and has carers 3 times a day, but she is still lonely. I have an answerphone, and it's permanently on. Filters out salemen etc. but people who really do want to talk to me leave a message. I live 6 miles away, do all sorts of things for mum, but I also have a son with SLD. He lives alone, with carers support in the evenings, but I do lots of things for him too. My mum didn't like the answerphone at first, but now understands that it helps me juggle caring and running a business. Now mum has one too, so that she doesn't have to rush to answer the phone when it rings. If your mum already has 4 carers a day, she obviously has high care needs - do the care agency have a 24 hours emergency cover. My son's care agency has this, he doesn't use it often, but it's really essential for him to have it - he has speech and language difficulties.
Hello Susan Image
Hi Susan
You may not think of yourself as a carer, but actually you are. There are several people on here who do the same as you. Combining caring with a full-time job is flipping hard work and unless you have been in that position you dont know what it is like.
Do come and talk to us, we are all carers, or ex carers here. We can mostly be found on Roll Call in the members corner. Just join in where ever you like.
hi welcome to forum
Hi Susan,

I am in a similar situation to you - not easy. Welcome to the Forum - lots of lovely people here who will listen and understand.

For the nighttime phone calls - have you tried a voicemail message on your phone saying "Mum, it is the middle of the night now; please go back to bed and I will speak to you in the morning".

Oh, and you are definitely a Carer

Take care,
Anne