[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Transition from JSA / universal credit? - Carers UK Forum

Transition from JSA / universal credit?

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
I am new to the forum . I need some advice . I have become a carer for my elderly parents who has recently had a severe stroke..
I have been seeking work and claiming JSA via universal credit . I am unable to continue to job seek as my father needs full time care.
I am not sure what to do . Do i make a claim for income support? Carers allowance? Or is this done automatically by the universal credit department.
Hello Chalana

I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.

If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
Hi Chalana,

Be sure to ring the helpline, they are brilliant, and helped me to be £50 a week better off, so I'm making a personal recommendation.

Are you caring for one parent with a stroke, and one other? Don't fall into the trap of trying to do it all yourself. Before discharge, the hospital should have ensured a good package of care was in place. Did this happen? Have all the aids, appliances etc. needed been provided?

Ask Social Services to do a Needs Assessment for each parent, and a Carers Assessment for yourself.

Are they eligible for Attendance Allowance now? If so, then you may also qualify for additional pension "premiums" and you might be eligible for Carers Allowance too.