[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Housing - Carers UK Forum

Housing

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hello

I am 28 years old currently full time caring for my grandmother whos on a state pension and attendance allowance

my question is does anybody have any information regarding housing as we currently live in a 3 bedroom house but due to grandfather leaving we are unable to pay the rent and need to downgrade to a 2 with help via housing benefit
You are very young to be caring for your gran. Why has your granddad walked out?

Are you getting Carers Allowance? It isn't much (about £62 a week), but it's something.

Why does your gran need care? If she has dementia, she will not need to pay council tax.

Carers UK expert team know all the 'rules' and it's best to email them (they reply in a day or so).

Other members here are also pretty good on the rules, and hopefully will be here shortly to advise you.

Do you actually want to care for your gran? What has happened to your parents (ie, your gran's son/daughter:?)
Hi Ben, welcome to the forum. I can't give you a straight answer to your question, I suggest you take advice from Shelter and/or the CarersUK helpline. However, I'm a great believer in the saying "There's more than one way of killing a cat" (with apologies to cat lovers everywhere).

Whilst you may not be entitled to full Housing Benefit, there may be other ways of boosting the overall income of the household, and therefore be able to "top up" your rent yourselves.

In order to keep our replies as relevant as possible, it would help if you could give a bit more information about your situation. No need to answer any you are uncomfortable about.

Can I ask where granddad has gone? How old is grandmother? What is the nature of her illness, so that you need to care for her full time? When did she last have a Social Services Needs Assessment (if ever?). When was your last Carers Assessment?

Have you claimed Carers Allowance and Employment Support Allowance?

Finally, when your gran passes away, will you "inherit" any right to housing?

One of the problems with things like housing is that there is a "domino effect". So the more benefits Gran gets from DWP, the more benefits you are entitled to, and there's a knock on effect on Housing Benefit.

In addition, if Gran's Needs Assessment shows she needs help, then under certain circumstances Social Services can pay you, or someone else, to look after her.
Thank you for the info

Grandad decided he'd had enough and has moved abroad, to never return

I am currently claiming carers allowance and am going through the income support process. I gave up full time work in October to look after her, she has rheumatoid arthritis on the higher scale, so as you can imagine there is basically no use in her hands.

we have never had a carers assessment and the last social assessment was almost a year ago. we are currently going through the process of housing benefit, pension credit, council tax reduction etc but as you know these things take time.

my main concern would be if it would be possible to have access to a housing association property or something like that, obviously then it would be cheaper and provide more things to aid her disability including location etc. I just am not sure if they would house her with me. she is 73.

I have never been in this situation before so when it comes to benefits, housing etc I'm really quite naïve.

I don't think anybody wants to care for someone but its not the case of wanting to or not its just one of those things you have to do I believe.
Definitely ask Social Services for a Needs Assessment for you nan and a Carers Assessment as soon as possible. There may be a wait once you ask, as most areas are over stretched. Please read through my earlier email and slowly work through everything. I always say if you decide which job is the most important, and then do one job a day, you soon get through a list.
Hi Ben and welcome.
You said
its not the case of wanting to or not its just one of those things you have to do I believe.

Actually it's not. No-one can be forced or even expected to care for another adult, whatever the relationship. I understand that your Grandmother's condition could shorten her life BUT she could still be around 15 or 20 years from now. Is that how you want to spend your youth? As she grows older, it's going to get harder and take over all your time. You must be a very caring young man to want to take this on, but
I can't help re housing, I'm sorry. No knowledge. Now that Granddad has abandoned you both and dumped the problem on you, (hardly fair) is there no other family to help out?
Does Gran get attendance allowance? Ring Adult Social Services and ask for a 'Needs Assessment' for her and a 'Carer's Assessment' for you. See what help they will offer you. Think about your own future too.
KR
E.
Does your gran expect you to look after her now until she dies? I do hope not! I hope she is not so selfish, and realises that if you look after her 'for the time being' until she has made the necessary adjustments to being deserted by her husband (what a great husband and granddad, to cut and run and dump his wife on his grandson!!!!), then she must 'let you go' so you can get on with your own life.

Someone here on another thread said a very wise and pertinent thing, which I have taken to heart myself in respect of my 92 y/o mother-in-law with dementia:

'We care ABOUT them - we do not care FOR them.'

It's an essential difference!