[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Asking advice for my Mother in Law - Carers UK Forum

Asking advice for my Mother in Law

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi Everyone
Please can you help or advise me as I don't know were to start. My 78 yr old father in law has been in ITU on a ventilatior for a month. Didn't think he was going to make it. He has been wheened off this over the past few days. he is doing ok but we have a long way to go yet. He is retired and my Mother in law works as a carer 26hrs a week. His health wasn't that good before this terrible thing happened so my mother in law was his carer. As you can imagine my mother in law has not been in work this past month as it was touch and go whether her husband would pull through and they don't pay sick pay so she has no income for the month. is there any way she can get financial help for rent and bills etc. She is also thinking ahead as he will probably need full care and she wants to be the one to do it. She doesn't know if she will be entitled to financial help if she gives up work and looks after him full time. Can someone please advise me if she would be able to give up work and what would she be entiltled to. Or point me in the right direction of were to start. She was paying all the bills with no discounts etc rent, council tax, TV Liscense, gas electricity water rates the usual bills
many thanks
Jeanette
send a message to the CUK careline - they should be able to give you full advice on benefits etc.

How will your MIL get through the weeks before she obtains any benefits?
Is it a good idea for her to give up work altogether? Has she thought it through? Not only the income issue, but the support and change of scenery and company are the things I miss most from my working days. I would recommend that she does nothing at the moment. He probably needs some intensive rehab, at this stage how much help he needs will be much more apparent.