[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ask the Experts: post your Qs on carers' rights & benefits - Page 9 - Carers UK Forum

Ask the Experts: post your Qs on carers' rights & benefits

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
82 posts
Kelly_19111 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:13 pm
I need some help I was a carer foe my grandmother until 2018 I did work part time until I now unable to work I need to claim contribution based ESA and pip
I am not sure if I can get the ESA as I haven't worked 26 weeks in tax years 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 so am I entitled to claim this as the info I have read is unclear as it said if claimed carers allowance I can get it so I am confused please help
As you state, the tax years you will need to rely on for “New Style” ESA would be 16/17 and 17/18
New Style ESA is the new Contribution Based ESA. (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-e ... -allowance)

To be eligible you must meet the following conditions:
First contribution condition - in one of the last two complete tax years (16/17 and 17/18), you must have paid Class 1 or 2 contributions on relevant earnings at the lower earnings limit for at least 26 weeks. This means you must have worked for at least 26 weeks of the last two complete tax years; and
Second contribution condition - in both of the last two complete tax years, ( 16/17 and 17/18 ) you must have paid or been credited with, Class 1 or 2 contributions to the value of 50 times the lower earnings limit.

Carer’s Allowance will have credited you with a Class 1 contribution for each full week you received Carer’s Allowance.

The rules are complicated and there are times when the first contribution condition can be relaxed for certain groups of ESA claimants. This means that some people can use National Insurance contributions paid in any tax year to satisfy the first contribution condition.

This could apply to you if you were entitled to Carer's Allowance in the last complete tax year immediately before the benefit year in which your Limited Capability for Work began.
So this would mean that if you claim New Style ESA this year (Jan to December 2019, you would have needed to have been in receipt of Carer’s Allowance for the tax year 17/18.
Because we are coming to the end of the benefit year 2019 (Jan to Dec) I would recommend starting your claim as soon as possible, if you need to rely on having been in receipt of Carer’s Allowance to qualify.
If you want face to face support with this to look at your contributions we would recommend getting in touch with a local advice agency. Please see here: www.advicelocal.uk.
You mention claiming PIP. Please see here for our factsheet on PIP which may be helpful for you: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... ce-payment
Benefit Check
If you are unable to claim New Style ESA, or if you can claim this and wish to see if you are entitled to any “means tested” benefits to top up your income, please get back in touch with the following information, and we can carry out a benefit check for you:

· Whether you are single or in a couple;
· Your date of birth and that of any partner/spouse if applicable;
· How many dependent children you have living with you (if any) and their ages;
· Whether you have anyone else living with you. If so who;
· What your level of earnings are (if any) and that of any partner or spouse if applicable – per week, month or year please specify;
· If you are in employment what your weekly hours of work are and that of any partner or spouse if applicable;
· Whether you or any partner/spouse are in receipt of any benefits currently. If so what and how much (please specify which rates apply and provide weekly amounts where possible);
· Details of any other income you or any partner/spouse have coming in;
· Details of any capital you or any partner/spouse have;
· What your full rent per week (before any Housing Benefit;
· If you are in a social rented property do you have any spare rooms; if you are in a privately rented property who do you live with;
· If you own the home you live in – what is the amount of your outstanding mortgage;
· What your council tax bill is for the year, before any Council Tax Reduction;
· What your postcode is.

Alternatively, if you would like to speak to someone on the phone you can call Turn2us for free on 0808 802 2000 who can do this check for you, or if you would like to speak to someone face to face, you can contact your local Citizens Advice.

You can also do a benefit check yourself with online calculators such as Turn2Us or Entiteldto. However, these calculators are not able to cover complex situations.

Kindest regards


Entitledto: https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=h ... g,,&typo=1
Local Citizen Advice: https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=h ... g,,&typo=1
Colin_1506 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:59 pm
I await the day when GPs CPNs Psychiatrists SServices anon start to agree & appreciate the value of carers in mental health care and support, as long-written into MH NICE procedures. I have now been derided for thinking that carers even exist usefully in any care programme and have had the resulting harm, done by exclusion, rejected as conjecture.

Such is the case in my son's death 2008. I have now had to withstand the insult, derision and vagary of the health services complaints investigator (PHSO) in stating that this is all purely my opinion and a 'would have liked' in my son's 5 year isolation before suicide.

The NHS Trust involved and PHSO have now viciously and blatantly lied in attempting to play down and cover up the failures before my son's death, and the corruption in NHS and PHSO investigation ever since - a complaint still without closure for that reason (2009 - 2019).

I have been shocked and mentally harmed by what those bodies have manufactured to ensure I would never recover from my trauma, and no-one would be ever be brought to book. Unfortunately many more have died since for the same reasons; Rejection and isolation by services, and keeping Carers out. The system is broken.

Why is nobody aware, when things still go wrong; or even before? The PHSO appears ignorant and out of date - a State tool for keeping the status-quo. Action is needed today because someone else will die avoidably and alone tomorrow.
Hi Colin,

Thank you for your message.

I am so sorry to hear about your son and what sounds like an incredibly distressing experience using the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. You can complain about the service here if you believe that they have acted inappropriately:
https://www.ombudsman.org.uk/about-us/f ... ur-service

You can also potentially seek further advice from a public law solicitor regarding whether the body has acted within its legal remit. You can search for this here:

The charity, Mind, also have some more detailed information about different stages of complaint which is at: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-sup ... d-9R5P7Tcs

We agree that it is vital that the role of carers is appreciated in the delivery of health and social care.

With best wishes

82 posts