[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ask the Experts: post your Qs on carers' rights & benefits - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Ask the Experts: post your Qs on carers' rights & benefits

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
82 posts
Hi Chris DWP has informed me by phone call that unless im on pension credit im not entitled to carers premuim so your link doesent have the answer as far as DWP are concerned tottaly misleading information and still confused?
My link was to the information provided by CUK itself.

One for their people to sort out !!!
I'd like to ask "Does the 1970 Chronically Sick and Disabled Person's Act still apply.
If so, the elderly and disabled should have free provision of a TV and licence, and a telephone.
There is also a clause for the disabled having holidays provided.

Does Valuing People still apply? There is a clause that the local authority should have a policy specifically for those with learning difficulties. New Forest Council does not have any such policy.
I already have information on carers benefits i thought i was asking an expert for straight reply answer this was point of joining carers uk with due respect
The " Experts " will appear on the forum during the week commencing 18 November ... as confirmed by Lizzie's opening posting.

In the interim , the CUK Advice Team can be contacted ... best by email :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... line-24147
bowlingbun wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:25 pm
I'd like to ask "Does the 1970 Chronically Sick and Disabled Person's Act still apply.
If so, the elderly and disabled should have free provision of a TV and licence, and a telephone.
There is also a clause for the disabled having holidays provided.

Does Valuing People still apply? There is a clause that the local authority should have a policy specifically for those with learning difficulties. New Forest Council does not have any such policy.
What is Valuing People? There should also be a policy designed for those with physical impairments. I doubt Surrey County Council has such a policy too. I’m happy to draw one up.
Hi how can I found out how many hours paid care my husband is entitled to. We have a carer morning and lunch time for half an hour 5 times a week.
Hi how can I found out how many hours paid care my husband is entitled to. We have a carer morning and lunch time for half an hour 5 times a week.

First port of call ... a Needs Assessment through your L.A. :

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-ad ... ssessment/

Also ... a guide to home care services ... what's available , and who provides them :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... site-37984
How are carers supposed to find out about the services available to support them when NHS and local government staff either don't know what is available or refuse to pass the information on? For example, I live in Aberdeenshire and have been an unpaid carer for my son for 19 years but requests for information, advice and/or support invariable drew responses along the lines of "nothing available", "you're managing fine", "your wife earns too much" etc. It was only in March or April this year that I learned Aberdeenshire Council had contracted carer support out to Quarriers (who didn't respond to my emails), that I might (or might not) be able to be assessed for an Adult Carer Support Plan (ACSP), and that I might (or might not) be able to apply for a Short Break. And that was in passing from a new occupational therapist who thought I'd would have known already.

I find it difficult to believe that social workers, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, educational psychologists, mental health support workers, speech and language therapists, psychiatrists etc etc were all unaware of support services, even more so with the healthcare/social care partnerships. Is it part of anyone's job to actually pass the information on and help get access to services? I sometimes get the impression information isn't passed on as to do so would mean stretching budgets even further if an application was successful.

I was able to access one useful project, an Aberdeenshire Council project to recognise the skills of unpaid carers via the award of an SVQ2 Social Services and Healthcare, although it was a mess and appeared to have lapsed before it came back to life again after several tense months of not knowing what was happening. However, I only found out about the project because I was doing zero hours relief work for the council and my line manager heard about it from a friend of hers in another department. I'd never have learned of it otherwise and wouldn't have been awarded an SVQ.

And that leads into a second question. How can the skills of Unpaid Carers be better recognised? The SVQ was a useful start as I'm trying to return to the workforce. However, even with the qualification and a skills-based CV I'm finding that neither social care nor healthcare employers are particularly interested - despite their staff shortages - because I've been out of the workforce for too long, because I might go back to looking after my son, and because "I have to realise that it's a caring vocation and, well..." (In other words, I'm an older male and we don't do care.)

Edited to add: Also, being an unpaid carer and not having a current or recent line manager means I can't supply a suitable reference, according to some social care employers (quite big names). Their HR managers say SSSC Guidelines mean they are obliged to reject people who don't have a suitable reference from a current or recent line manager. On top of that, one of those HR managers admitted they don't provide references when their own staff leave, only providing start and finish dates which are apparently not sufficient to meet the requirements of the code. (He said this was due to data protection laws.) This makes it extremely difficult for an unpaid carer to find work in an area where they have skills. (I do have several good references, including from my SVQ assessor and from charitable work, but not from a line manager within the past 18 months.)
I would like to ask a question of an expert please.

I have found out that if we wrap our capital in a trust (bare or discretionary) which was a sum paid as a result of a Critical Illness policy when my husband had a traumatic brain injury causing a major stroke, our capital amount is mitigated, thus allowing us to claim Universal Credit as a couple.

Is this correct? If so, can we do it now as we have held this in a house, then sold that house and moved to a cheaper one and now the capital amount is in a bank. It is exactly the same capital which we have looked after and it must pay for any adaptations he may need.
82 posts