[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ask the Experts: post your Qs on carers' rights & benefits - Page 5 - Carers UK Forum

Ask the Experts: post your Qs on carers' rights & benefits

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
82 posts
Hi BB.

Closest fit would be The Care and Support ( Children's Carers ) Regulations 2015 ... silent on the holiday element ?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015 ... tents/made
I have evidence that it's not repealed, that's why I've asked the question. Conflicting information.
I feel another direct payments conundrum coming up ?
Jo_1911 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:42 pm
Hi how can I found out how many hours paid care my husband is entitled to. We have a carer morning and lunch time for half an hour 5 times a week.
Hi there,

Thank you for your message.

I am assuming from your message that you are referring to care arranged through the local authority following an assessment. This “paid” care will normally be subject to a financial means test to determine whether a contribution is appropriate.

The support your husband qualifies for will depend on two things:

1. What his assessed needs are
2. What support he is already getting to meet his needs

If you are providing care to your husband, it may be the case that he is eligible for more care than he is currently getting and the reason for why this is not happening now is because you have told the council that you are happy to provide this care. The council are not obliged to duplicate support if an unpaid carer is able and willing to meet the need.

Alternatively, it could be that the first time they assessed your husband they did not fully capture all his needs or did not allocate enough support to meet them (even with the support you are providing).

In either case, the first step if your husband requires more support is to call adult social services and ask for a review of his care and support plan. The review is an opportunity to explain if you need or want to reduce the support you are providing so that the local authority can step up to meet the need. It is also the forum to explain why you think your husband needs more care (if the previous allocation was insufficient). To do this, it can help to understand what the eligibility criteria is so you can link this to the extra support needed. You can read more about the eligibility criteria for needs assessments in our factsheet, which can be here:
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... assessment

This factsheet also has information on challenging local authority decisions if your husband needs more support than the local authority are agreeing to pay for.

Best Wishes
Suzette Carers UK wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:44 am
Ayjay wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 am
How do I get a day off?
Hello. Thanks for your question.

The regular demands of caring can often be exhausting and so it's important to recognise when you need a break. There are lots of different options that can be explored, whether you need an hour each week, a day off here or there, a week or two for a holiday, or a combination of all of these.

You can read more about the different ways this can be organised in our factsheet on taking a break, which can be accessed here:

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... ng-a-break

One of the main ways a break can be arranged is by getting some support cover through your local authority. This will often include an assessment of the person you are caring for to see what support is required. You can read more about assessments here:

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... assessment

Best Wishes
Thank you. So, I can have a day off whenever I like, as long as I pay for it - twice (once for me and once for my wife). :blink:
Yep , Ayjay ... all you need is £ xxx to replace yourself as a carer.

A fact that seems to have escaped CUK ?

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... reak-37375

Respite care ... for only those who can afford it ?

In numbers ... best guess ... 3 million out of 8 million + ... to err on the upside.
Wasn't there that fund to ensure unpaid carers could have a break, I read about 400 million pounds provided by the government to provide essential breaks.

The Better Care Fund?
Yep ... The Better Care Fund ... yet another smoke and mirrors job ?

Wiki for this one :


In February 2017 the National Audit Office produced a report saying that the £5.3 billion spent in 2015/16 had not delivered value for money.

Emergency hospital admissions had increased by 87,000 between 2014/15 and 2015/16, rather than the planned reduction of 106,000, which had cost an additional £311 million.

Delayed transfers of care increased by 185,000 days, rather than the planned reduction of 293,000, which had cost £146 million more.

As for carers , try the actual policy framework ... 12 pages worth in .pdf format :

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... mework.pdf

I've looked for any reference ... but failed.

More to do with integration of services.
Carer181 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:05 pm

Got a letter from DWP about an appointment to check I am receiving the right amount of Carer's allowance. Never had one of these before so any advice as to what to expect from this call would be much appreciated. The person I care for receives middle rate care and an application has been made for low mobility but no response to that at the moment.

Thank you in advance
Hi there, and thank you for your question.

Sometimes the DWP do ask to meet with carers to see if they are still meeting the conditions of the Carer’s Allowance benefit.
They may ask you questions about your caring role in relation to the main criteria of the benefit, such as the care you provide day by day.
These criteria are –

- You look after someone who gets a qualifying disability benefit (this means they get Disability Living Allowance at either the middle or highest rate for personal care needs; the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (at either the standard or enhanced rate); Attendance Allowance (at either rate); or Constant Attendance Allowance (of the normal maximum rate) paid with the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes);

- You look after that person for at least 35 hours a week;

- You are aged 16 or over;

- You are not in full-time education;

- You are either not working or if you work your earnings are no more than £123 per week after certain deductions;

- You meet certain tests linked to your immigration status and length of time you have lived in the UK.

So long as you meet these tests there should be no reason why your Carer’s Allowance would be affected. You can find out more about Carer’s Allowance in our free factsheet.

Bear in mind that 35 hours can span a whole week (from Sunday to Saturday midnight), and that caring is not actually defined for the benefit.

As guidance for Carer's Allowance the 35 hours can include:

• time spent physically helping the person
• time spent ‘keeping an eye’ on the person, eg preventing them coming to harm by walking out of the house
• time spent doing practical tasks for them, eg cooking
• time taken doing practical tasks, even if you don’t do them in the presence of the person you are looking after, may also count (for instance, if you look after someone who visits you regularly for the care they need, time spent preparing for the visit or cleaning up afterwards should count)

I hope this information is helpful, but please do get back in touch if you have further questions.

Take care

Paul_191112 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:54 pm
I live with my wife and were both on state pensions i am a carer for my daughter who lives on her own as my pension overlaps carers allowance so will i be able to claim carers premuim or do i have to be claiming pension credit to qualify ?
Hi my daughter is mentally disabled and recieves pip higher rate disability payment i care for her 35 hrs weekly but because my state pension overlaps the careras allowance i carnt get the allowance but i am i entiled to an underlying payment carers addition of £36.85 a week ? Im bit confused as DWP informed me that i need to be claiming pension credit im slightly confused!!"

Hi there, and thank you very much for your query. It is something that is asked a fair amount as it can sometimes be hard to get correct information, so it’s great to share this on the forum.
You are correct in that you can’t be paid Carer’s Allowance now you have a State Pension which pays more than Carer’s Allowance.

However, as you know, a person can have or retain what is called the underlying entitlement to Carer's Allowance. This means a claim for Carer's Allowance is made, and a letter is sent out stating that although you meet all the conditions for the benefit, you cannot be paid it. The letter then provides a purpose of being a certificate of underlying entitlement to the benefit.

This underlying entitlement means that a “Carer’s Premium” of up to £36.85pw can be used to increase any means tested benefits that you might get.

Pension Credit is a means tested benefit, but it is not just Pension Credit that can have the Premium added to it. Housing Benefit is also a means tested benefit, and the amount a person can receive (if they are not already receiving the maximum amount to pay eligible rent) can increase if the Carer’s Premium is added.

Other relevant means tested benefits include Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance, Universal Credit and Council Tax Reduction.

If you are not sure if you would be eligible for Pension Credit or Housing Benefit you are welcome to email our advice team directly and request a benefit check. We can then email over the information we would need in order to carry out a check for you.

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards

82 posts