[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Another new one. - Carers UK Forum

Another new one.

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hello all.
New to this forum, obviously or I wouldn't be posting here. Image

For my sins I am a full time carer for my 13 year old stepson who contracted encephylitus due to the chicken pox virus at 13 months old which left him brain damaged and the inevitable learning/behavioural difficulties thereto. I am also part-time carer to my other stepson who has aspergers syndrome and is 16. Been doing this now for about 4 years.

I also have a son and a daughter from a previous marriage aged 15 and 18 respectively.

I say for my sins because I walked into this with eyes wide shut you might say as I was totally un-aware of what a carer or living with people with disablities was all about which to be honest am ashamed about now but am determined to get non-carers to at least try and understand what a carer has to do.

I'm sure it has been said a thousand times before but I am sick to the back teeth of been treated like a second class citizen, by both the general public and even worse, so-called professionals that have no idea what people like us have to go through on a daily basis. To my mind we are a pillar of society and largely the silent minority. We save the economy billions every year. This in turn keeps the tax bills down for everyone else and without us public services would be more of a sham than it is now.

Rant mode off.

Just to mention how I got into this. My stepson was getting a little too big to handle for my wife, so I gave up work to care for him and she has gone on to higher education studying for a PhD which hopefully should culminate in her getting a decent paid job.

I take my hat off to every carer wherever and whoever they care for and while I don't regret my decision to become a carer for one minute, I was totally un-aware of how life changing it is and the reason why I'm so bloody tired at the end of the day. It was never this bad at work Image

Sorry to rant on a bit but I think everyone will agree it does you good to get it off your chest from time to time. I'm looking forward to reading this forum and ranting some more just because I can. Image

Gerry.
Hi Gerry and welcome
Feel free to rant away on here, we all know where you are coming from.
You'll find lots of new friends who will help, support and advise you and we'll also make you laugh a bit. Image

Bluebird Image
Hi Gerry nice to meet you and welcome to the Forum from one West Yorkie to another Image Huddersfield here.Just up the M606 from you guys Image
Hi Gerry,
Feel free to have a good rant and get stuff off your chest. Welcome.

Karen xx
Thanks for all your good wishes.

Finally I have found somewhere that I can be understood.

Gerry.
welcome to the site!!!!!!

i too am a step parent and that in its self can be harder work than looking after my lil wonky,

i think u will be very at home on here

Gerry.

Yeah great int it Image Image Image

Gerry.

Honestly, it is. I get so frustrated trying to tell people what I do and the look of derision that follows or the famous quote, "What you need is a job". Makes my blood boil. I've got a bloody job for crying out loud.

Anyway, thanks again. Very much appreciated. Image Image

Gerry.

Honestly, it is. I get so frustrated trying to tell people what I do and the look of derision that follows or the famous quote, "What you need is a job". Makes my blood boil. I've got a bloody job for crying out loud.

Anyway, thanks again. Very much appreciated. Image Image
Awwwwwwwwwwww don't start me off................. rant time.......... I was at a bbq last year, mixing with the higher earners who have their million pound plus houses and their high paid jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trying to explain what I did was met with such derision and comments about getting a proper job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nuff said........... for now.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adding my welcome to Gerry.

x x