[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Another new one! - Carers UK Forum

Another new one!

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi all, I'm a new temporary carer (at least I hope!).
My partner has just been discharged from hospital after a quadruple bypass I am his sole carer and it's been a real eye-opener!
I'm a bit lost at the moment, it's odd having someone so dependant on you and we are finding our feet slowly. Image
I wonder if anyone here can give me a few pointers as to where we can aids to hire, only realised yesterday that he is unable to get into the bath for a shower! We, I hope, will only need these things for the next few months, all being well things should be back to near normal after that.
I have tried Social Services and Occupational Therapy and they have a 4 week waiting list, there must be somewhere out there that can supply the items we need at a small cost, but I have no idea where to start.
I look forward to being part of this forum and meeting you all.
Sam
Staffs
Try the district nurses they can be fantastic at sorting some aids out. Hi and welcome, we're a friendly bunch, you can get to know us on roll call(carer to carer). Image

Karen
Welcome Sam - try your local branch of the Red Cross, they should be able to help.
Or if you have a Mobility shop locally they may be able to put you in touch with a local organisation.

I am surprised though that the hospital discharged your partner without an assessment and a care plan being in place - a quadruple bypass is no minor procedure - the assessment should have been done by the OT's and Social Services in conjunction the Doctors and nursing staff and would have highlighted any difficulties he would be likely to experience on returning home, then any aids you needed should have been put in place BEFORE he came home.

Generally the OT's visit your home before the discharge date so that they can check if you are likely to need anything - Social Services can also make a home visit to check if you need any additional support in the form of Care Assistants to help him with bathing etc.
Hi Sam,

Welcome to the Forum Image

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Sezzie.
Hi and Welcome Image
Welcome to the forum Image
hello and welcome
Hi all,
Thanks for the welcome, I hope I'll get to know you all over time.
Thank you also for your helpful comments, our local Social Services did seem surprised that there hadn't been an assessment and the local OT have a 4 week waiting list for aids at the moment!
I will try the local Red Cross and Mobility Shop as suggested, it's all been a little manic since Tuesday, we keep finding problems every day and then it's trying to sort them out!
I can't believe how completely unprepared we have been, the euphoria of him coming home has been dampened somewhat by all the little hurdles.
Thank you once again for your welcome and your advice, I will let you know how I got on.
Sam Image
Hi and welcome
I know just how you feel and to find out how and where to get things is not always easy. After buying a lot of things including a wheelchair I discovered that a lot of stuff was available through Health and Social Care. Follow this internet link and it will give you some information.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... DG_4000436

Another wonderful place is freecycle.org where you can register for your area and those nearest you.