[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Amputee with dementia - Carers UK Forum

Amputee with dementia

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hello
I am new. I care for my husband who not only has dementia, but has one leg amputated. My biggest concern is him falling at night when I am asleep. He is not steady transferring from bed to wheelchair, and last week fell out of his chair, hit his head on bathroom floor, unconscious, called ambulance, and hospital for two days.
My wife uses a chamber pot kept beside the bed at night so she never has
to go to the bathroom.

It is even easier for a man to use one than for a woman to use one.
He can stand or crouch or even use it in bed. A smallish jar might be better in bed though.
Less chance of any spillage !
There may be devices that suit your situation that report when your husband has got out of bed. Here's an Alzheimer's Society link for 'assistive devices' - including automatic lights and fall sensors:

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scri ... mentID=109

Apologies if you know more about this than I do - it isn't my situation.
Hello Albert
I have urine bottles in place, but he doesn't remember. Sometimes he doesn't remember where the bathroom is.
Thank you Greta. I will look into this.