[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Advice on a bariatric bed pan for the big job - Page 4 - Carers UK Forum

Advice on a bariatric bed pan for the big job

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Oh yes! I still have to stop comparing myself to others. The visitors at my hubby's nursing home, who go every day, and for longer hours than me. I thought I would be judged. I'm not, as I don't judge any, whether they stay for hours, or some who never visit at all. We each have to do what's best for our own well being, and for our loved one. It's taken me 12 months to get this far and I'm still struggling to be honest. Still very heartbroken.
bowlingbun wrote:Indira,
The more I read about your situation, the more I feel that somehow you and your mum have slipped through the net, and my alarm bells are ringing.

Can you explain exactly what happened after mum had the fall which seems to have started all these problems?
Was the ambulance called?
Was she taken to hospital immediately?
Was she admitted to hospital at all?
At what stages were the fractures discovered?
If she has fractures, is she in plaster?
If not, why not?
An amulance was called, the medics gave mum intravenous paracetemol and then morphine. Pain was intense, taken to hosptial, Xrays of I don't know what, but not the ankle and ECG. No fractures discovered, discharged at 4am and sent home. Mum lives on her own. No OT assessment or admission. Nightmare began. I happened to call her old OT team and they told me to ask the GP for the Rapid Access Team. GP took his own time. Anyway the MERIT team kicked in and they gave mum a bed and a mow lift (which she had to pull herself upright and stand). This I feel caused more damage. A week later I got called by an A&E doctor to say that she had a fracture. By then the pain was even more intense so I called 111. They sent another ambulance crew that took her back to hospital, they kept her in the Clinical Decision Unit to sort out equipment. Re-xrayed. This time her ankle too. Was not informed of how many fractures or where. I was so stressed that I did not ask either. No plaster, because it would be too heavy. Her leg though in severe pain was forced into a plastic boot with no pain relief. For some reason the doctor was being nasty. Unfortunately I was not there to correct the situation. Mum refused the boot as without the fractures she is in severe pain due to her Parkinson's and Arthritis. Xrays at this point showed that it is bone on bone in the knees. She was discharged after two days from the CDU without a hoist in place. Hoist took another few weeks to install. By this time, there was no suitable bed pan. I kept asking and it was pushed aside. I bought several. I was given a basic one which cut into mum and was too high. The slipper pan disappeared under her. Then Social Services said it is £36 per hour for two carers. Now they are keeping us in the dark. When I asked the First Response team who I should contact regarding costs, he said nobody. I have never had much luck with Social Services. I asked for a Carer's Assessment years ago and it never happened.

I just put it down to the NHS being overburdened. It is such a life saving institution and I have great respect for it.
Thanks for the extra information. How are the fractures now? Is mum still wearing the "boot"? What follow up is planned/arranged?
Pet66 wrote:Oh yes! I still have to stop comparing myself to others. The visitors at my hubby's nursing home, who go every day, and for longer hours than me. I thought I would be judged. I'm not, as I don't judge any, whether they stay for hours, or some who never visit at all. We each have to do what's best for our own well being, and for our loved one. It's taken me 12 months to get this far and I'm still struggling to be honest. Still very heartbroken.
So sorry, it is so hard, all of it. We do tend to give ourselves a hard time as well as all the other pressures that are put upon us. Hugs my friend.
bowlingbun wrote:Thanks for the extra information. How are the fractures now? Is mum still wearing the "boot"? What follow up is planned/arranged?
Sorry, have been busy trying to survive and haven't logged on. Fractures seem to have healed, but pain is intense due to Parkinson's and Arthritis. Mum has refused to go back to hospital to be re-xrayed. No follow up. Still bed bound.
So sorry to hear what you are going through. Cant offer too much advice but I was under the assumption that the Discharge Team at the hospital had to make sure that care and equipment was organised before discharging a patient. The mother of a friend of mine had to stay in hospital for a month longer than necessary because the bed and chair and hoist delivered were all incorrect !

Do hope that you can get things sorted soon particularly with help to give you a some time to recharge your batteries