[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Advice needed about social housing Home Choice - Carers UK Forum

Advice needed about social housing Home Choice

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi
Anyone got any experience of a relative moving to a different county to be near them but using Home Choice? I'm mulling over the idea of my mum moving 200 miles to live in my city as I only see her once a month due to me working full time and the distance. She is on her local Home Choice for a bungalow but I'm conscious my mum's life is seriously isolated and curtailed due to the small town she lives in and not having good mobility so living near me would help that. Any advice on council's relocating tenants etc would be appreciated.
Hi Ange.

LAs reallocating tenants ?

Fairly rural to city ... need for a smaller property , preferably a bungalow ?

In essence , join the queue !

As highlighted in the main HOUSING thread , immediate problems to be encountered :

1. Waiting lists to downside in most main towns and citiies now exceed 1 in 10 ... the Bedroom Tax being the main catalyst for this ... as for bungalows , 1 in 1,000 would be realistic given the lack of bungalows in those more populated areas.

2. Social rents ... higher in the main towns and cities ... local Housing Allowance does NOT cover the net rent costs.

3. Moving from one manor to another ... post code lottery as to the supporting services available.

4. Your mother ... moving from a smal community into a larger one ... less space ... loss of community and friends ... what effect would that have on her morale ?

Home Choice Scheme ?

Fine but ... the waiting lists for smaller properties alone ?

Just like any market ... some offering to exchange properties are doing so for many reasons ... some of which would NEVER be advertised !

Definately a case of caveat emptor ... buyer beware.

Given the situation , you moving closer to your mother would be more realistic ?

Having said that , being closer and more caring comes into the equation ... increasing as your mother's health deteriates ?

Your life / your mother's needs and expectations ... chalk and cheese ?

What then ?