[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
A very thankful newbie - Carers UK Forum

A very thankful newbie

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi all my name is debby and I'm new here. I have posted already at 2 in the morning when I was feeling low and people were so lovely to me. I am a carer for my 22 year old son who has aspergers and has had schizophrenia since the age of 17. I live with my husband and son and have an older daughter who lives with her boyfriend I work full time as a registered nurse as well as constantly being on call for my son which I find exhausting .
Hi Debby

Glad we could be of some comfort. You have my greatest empathy, as I am dealing with a son who probably has schizophrenia (they keep telling me it is early days, but as he has been having psychotic episodes for nearly 2 years, has been hospitalised twice, and can only function when on a medium to high dose of anti-psychotics, I think we are now firmly in that territory).

Juggling a demanding job and caree is a nightmare; one that I gave up last April (I was a secondary school teacher). Are your employers aware of the situation? Probably best to let them know in a calm period, rather than when things escalate to frantic. At least then you won't have to worry about explaining to them when you are busy trying to navigate the minefield of intensively looking after someone with a MH condition.

I feel knackered all the time, sleep being a rare gem to me these days, even though my son is sleeping much better, I still can't get out of the habit of worrying that something is going to "kick-off". The joys of motherhood :shock: ;) :roll:

Feel free to sound off here any time - it is the only thing that keeps me sane!!! xx