[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
A little bit about me - Carers UK Forum

A little bit about me

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
Hi, my name is Mary and I am a carer tomy hubby Paul who has arthritis which has caused his spine to crumble and cause extensive damage to the nerves. He has very limited mobility, he also has arthritis in his joints. I work 30 hours a week and really love my job, however I know there will come a time when I will have to stop working in order to care full time for Paul.
I have three children, five beautiful grandsons and a crazy dog.
Welcome Mary,

Is there any sort of assistance (i.e. paid carers) coming in to help out with your husbands care needs?
Have adaptations been made to the family home for things like grab rails, a safer bathroom etc?
Have you had a carers assessment for yourself?

When is the last time you were able to take a break as a family? (especially you!)

You should not have to give up work to provide care, you have a busy enough home life as is.
Does your hubby know of your intentions to eventually give up work? How does he feel about it?

Surely it would be better for everybody as a whole if you were to have a small package of care to assist with the things hubby struggles with, and you oversee that (like a manager of sorts) so that you do not run yourself into the ground, you must be kind to yourself in this situation too.

This way you aren't just spending "time together" doing care related tasks, its actually "quality time" if you know what I mean and could preserve a level of intimacy otherwise strained by the carer role especially in marital settings.

I was just passing through but I am positive others will be along, mornings are a bit iffy for many as you can imagine.

The arthritis part is worrying I'm a fair bit younger but know its a time bomb as living with 2 forms of it (plus things on the side) and its hard already.

Feel free to check out the other parts of the forum, hope you stick around

Your family sound wonderful and they are blessed to have you in their lives.

Best wishes
Welcome Mary,

My mum also had severe spinal issues, ultimately diagnosed with hyperostosis - bony outgrowths all down her spine which pinched nerves and caused so many falls that in the end she was forbidden to even try to stand - the day after the hospital had said she was fit for discharge!

How old is your husband? Is he claiming all the benefits he's entitled to? Do you have an accessible bathroom?
Hello,welcome aboard