[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
39 next month: will I EVER be able to escape from my family? - Page 7 - Carers UK Forum

39 next month: will I EVER be able to escape from my family?

Tell us a bit about yourself here.
75 posts
Surely we ALL need support in our caring role?
bowlingbun wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:13 pm
Surely we ALL need support in our caring role?
If I need support from my mam, doesn't that imply that while I may or may not be her caree, I cannot possibly be her carer?
Not at all. The 2 are not mutually exclusive. There are situations where 2 people can be each other's carer.
The basic definition of someone needing carer is where they cannot do certain everyday things for themselves and wouldn't live ok without the input of a carer.

I see support as being given to someone who can do all everyday things but just needs a bit extra encouragement/ support in some form or other.
(Aĺl my own opinion)
MrsAverage wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:44 pm
Not at all. The 2 are not mutually exclusive. There are situations where 2 people can be each other's carer.
The basic definition of someone needing carer is where they cannot do certain everyday things for themselves and wouldn't live ok without the input of a carer.
I'm guessing that by a very inclusive definition, my mam could be considered a carer for all three others in our house, while I could be considered a carer for my mam and my sister, while my dad could be considered a carer for my sister?

OK, I've now got the complete report on my sister's current status -- hope some people here find it helpful!

And by the way, since this thread is now getting very long, could readers please suggest if another forum here would be more appropriate for continuing discussions?

Thanks,
Hi George, I've been in a similar position and you must be very strong....well done for making it this far mate.
Another question: what is the significance (if any) of the fact that my mother turned down the Carer's Assessment that she was offered last October when the social worker came to review my sister's condition?
It just shows that mum is in complete denial.
bowlingbun wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:35 pm
It just shows that mum is in complete denial.
I was thinking more that she was afraid what consequences could follow...
Relating to your disabled sister?
It really is time that she went to see the various options available, rather than bury her head in the sand, It would doubtless be a load of your mind, as well as hers, to see your sister settled somewhere new.
Or is your sister a useful fetcher and carrier for mum when you are at work??
bowlingbun wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:51 pm
Relating to your disabled sister?

It really is time that she went to see the various options available, rather than bury her head in the sand, It would doubtless be a load of your mind, as well as hers, to see your sister settled somewhere new.
Another important point is that my mam has repeatedly said that she'd rather her daughter was at home 24/7 than that to be going (or staying) anywhere where she didn't want to be...
75 posts