[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
So what happens now? - Page 4 - Carers UK Forum

So what happens now?

For anyone who is bereaved or no longer providing care.
I emailed CarersLine to look at this. Unfortunately there was a problem with the advisor signing in. Here is her reply

x x
" Hi J79,
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I understand that as well as the emotional effects of the death of your mother, there are so many practical and financial matters you have to deal with at the moment.

As you know, your entitlement to Carers Allowance depended on your mother's benefits. However, the rules are that If you were receiving Carers Allowance when the person you cared for died, this will usually continue to be paid for eight weeks from the Sunday after their death. If you were receiving a carer premium or addition as part of your Income Support or Pension Credit, this will also continue for eight weeks. The only exception from this rule is if your mother has been in hospital for 12 weeks prior to her death (as your CA should have stopped after that period). If this was not the case, your Carers Allowance should continue for 8 weeks after your mother's death.

If you are under pension credit qualifying age, you might be expected to claim jobseeker's allowance (JSA) from eight weeks after your mother's death.
I understand that it is very difficult for you to even think about looking for jobs at the moment and if you feel that you are unable to work then it may be best to claim Employment and Support Allowance first.
You may get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if your illness or disability affects your ability to work and you're]https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-a ... e/overview[/url].
Also, as Ladybird suggested, speak to your GP and ask them to support you. Tell them that you can't work due the high level of stress and anxiety due to bereavement. Their support will be crucial whilst you are claiming ESA.
Also, many organisations offer support to people who have suffered a bereavement. Sharing your feelings with others can help, but do not feel under any pressure to talk if you don't want to. If you do, one of the following organisations may be able to help]adviceline@carersuk.org[/url] or phone on 0808 808 7777.

Warm wishes,
Monika
Carers UK"
I emailed CarersLine to look at this. Unfortunately there was a problem with the advisor signing in. Here is her reply

x x
" Hi J79,
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I understand that as well as the emotional effects of the death of your mother, there are so many practical and financial matters you have to deal with at the moment.

As you know, your entitlement to Carers Allowance depended on your mother's benefits. However, the rules are that If you were receiving Carers Allowance when the person you cared for died, this will usually continue to be paid for eight weeks from the Sunday after their death. If you were receiving a carer premium or addition as part of your Income Support or Pension Credit, this will also continue for eight weeks. The only exception from this rule is if your mother has been in hospital for 12 weeks prior to her death (as your CA should have stopped after that period). If this was not the case, your Carers Allowance should continue for 8 weeks after your mother's death.

If you are under pension credit qualifying age, you might be expected to claim jobseeker's allowance (JSA) from eight weeks after your mother's death.
I understand that it is very difficult for you to even think about looking for jobs at the moment and if you feel that you are unable to work then it may be best to claim Employment and Support Allowance first.
You may get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if your illness or disability affects your ability to work and you're]https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-a ... e/overview[/url].
Also, as Ladybird suggested, speak to your GP and ask them to support you. Tell them that you can't work due the high level of stress and anxiety due to bereavement. Their support will be crucial whilst you are claiming ESA.
Also, many organisations offer support to people who have suffered a bereavement. Sharing your feelings with others can help, but do not feel under any pressure to talk if you don't want to. If you do, one of the following organisations may be able to help]adviceline@carersuk.org[/url] or phone on 0808 808 7777.

Warm wishes,
Monika
Carers UK"
Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to email them.

My carers allowance and carers premium stopped the week after my mums death (she passed on the Saturday, I received payment on the following Monday, then was called by the carers department on the Thursday to tell my my carers allowance was suspended, then I called a few days after and was told it had stopped).

My mum was in hospital for three weeks prior to her passing and I called the DWP to tell them she had been admitted on the day she was admitted.

I was told by the carers department my entitlement to carers allowance ended the week before she passed which is why I wasn't entitled to the 8 week run on.

I have applied for employment support allowance, with the support of my GP. But have been told I'm not entitled to an emergency payment until the 3rd of January. Which means I've had zero income for a month, I had no savings to fall back on. Gas alone is £106 per month, electricity is £50, the loan on the house is £140 per month, not to mention water rates, tv licence, etc etc.

I will try the advice line tomorrow, but I am aware it may now be shut till the new year.

The whole situation really does make me think nice people finish last. I see so many people claiming this that and the other and bragging about how they don't have to work and get their rent paid etc. Maybe I should take a leaf out of their book.
Just to update.

Got the ESA claim, but states I will get £73 per fortnight because of money I am getting for being a carer?? Spent god knows how much on the phone to them trying to get it sorted. Left arm doesn't know what the right arm is doing.

I'll just have to find a job now, I can't afford to live on that, gas alone is £106 per month.

Having been a carer since the age of 6 I have zero qualifications or experience, but I'm sure there's something out there.

As harsh as this sounds, if anyone I know is ever in the position of possibly becoming a carer, I'll be doing my best to talk them out of it. The way carers are treated is beyond the joke.