[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
So what happens now? - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

So what happens now?

For anyone who is bereaved or no longer providing care.
Hi, in our area there is a charity that gives out food parcels. Im certain you would be eligible. Anything like that in your area?
I'm not sure what its called now but there used to be something called a crisis loan I'm sure it still exists in some form it might be worth asking. You will have to pay it back but it might help in the mean time
Thanks.

Finally got in contact with the CAB. They can't help till January.

Got a letter to start paying council tax this morning too.

I can get a crisis loan but I'm in enough debt as it is. So really really don't want. Might sound stupid given the situation but I don't want to get into more debt.

I give up. I'm past caring. They can all go whistle.
Don't shoot yourself in the foot to spite your head, you know you've got to eat !!! Take the crisis loan and then you can pay for it when your benefits come through, surely they'll be backdated to the date of your original claim? Forget about the HB letter, you won't have to pay them anything once the benefits are sorted out - unless you have a stash of money, which clearly you haven't. Not eating enough is a sure way to get ill, mentally and physically, so please, please, please take the crisis loan and go and get some food.
J79, apologies as I have only just come across your post. I am so terribly sorry for your loss and the disgusting way that you have been treated since. The only thing I can suggest, and not sure if it will help at all is with housing benefit. If you are claiming I know they do have a little pot where they can make additional payments at their discretion when someone is struggling (only know because it is part of my daughters job).

Crikey, it's 2012 and people are forced into situations like this, not knowing where the next plate of food is coming from beggars belief.

You are in my thoughts.

Bell x
Thanks.

The doctors note is only till end of Jan. I'm hoping I'll feel up to looking for work then.

I appreciate what you're saying and I do apprexiate the advice. But I really don't want to take out a loan. I have 2k owed on a credit card. £800 on a store card and there's a 5k loan on the house. The last thing I need or want is more debt.

I'm not entitled to housing as my mum owned the house (mortgage is paid-but secured loan is outstanding). So will be tranfared to my name once I have sorted probate etc.

I went to the CAB but they can't do anything until January so won't give me an appointment till then.

There is an insurance policy which thankfully coveres the funeral. Just. One thing I don't have to worry about thankfully.

I don't have the energy to deal with it all right now. I know that seems drama queen of me but I'm struggling to deal with the grief. Not sleeping. Having panic attacks. Constant crying I just don't have anything left to deal with anything else.
You are most certainly not being a drama queen. Grief is awful and totally debilitating(sp).

Ring the council up re the council tax and explain things even if you are not entitled to council tax benefit which you should be if you are 'on sick' they may be prepared to delay payments until the new year when everything is sorted out ( sorry that came out as very bossy it wasn't ment to be)

Do you have a local credit union they maybe able to help by lending you the money to cover some of the debt at a much lower rate of interest than you are paying on the cards? I've been in debt myself in the past and I know how it feels to walk that road its difficult to deal with when you're okay but when you are grieving it must be worse.

Please take care of yourself and take a day at a time x
Another alternative would be to use some of the funeral money for food, just until the benefits are sorted out. Most funeral directors know that they won't get paid for some time.
Another alternative would be to use some of the funeral money for food, just until the benefits are sorted out. Most funeral directors know that they won't get paid for some time.
I had intended to do that but the insurers wont pay out until I can obtain grant of probate, which I can't afford to do right now.

The funeral directors are thankfully being very understanding.

It's all just a big mess.
I had intended to do that but the insurers wont pay out until I can obtain grant of probate, which I can't afford to do right now.

The funeral directors are thankfully being very understanding.

It's all just a big mess.
When Mum died and I was sorting out her finances prior to applying for the Grant of Probate the bank and the building society both asked if I needed money in advance from her estate to pay funeral and other expenses - is this something you could look into ?

The other thing you coud do is to contact your creditors, explain your situation and ask for a 'holiday' from the repayments - most creditors seem to be amenable to such a suggestion in situations such as yours.