[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: Newly diagnosed - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Re: Newly diagnosed

For anyone who is bereaved or no longer providing care.
Very encouraging, Susie.
Don't cheese and nuts have a high fat content though?
Good news about the milk though, I didn't know that semi-skimmed gave more calcium. I shall start buying it again (used to have 'green' milk until I moved, then continued buying 'blue top' milk as that's what the boys use(d)). Good excuse to revert to semi-skimmed milk!
Yes, cheese and nuts are high in fat - but it's all about quantity really !

Smaller portions of full fat cheeses, or bigger portions of the low-fat varieties. However nuts contain 'good' fats and are also a valuable source of protein. For instance walnuts have been proven to have a beneficial effect on cholesterol levels :) they also contain serotonin (natural feel good chemical) as do almonds. I don't snack on chocolate now but have a small handful of nuts instead (or popcorn - salted or sweet 'n salted varieties, a 17gr portion has less than 100 calories and is very low in fat).

Since changing my whole diet I no longer count calories at all - no sugars (refined or natural - anything on the label ending in ...ose means the food contains sugar), no carbs and relatively low fat is keeping my weight stable and my blood sugars under control.
susie, please pass on proffesional advice
swimming is bad for osteoporosis i've been told
do you honestly think i wuld have given up the hobby of a lifetime if i'd been simply told it had no benefits
phew!
i'm no expert like you susie but am passing on advice i received a month or 2 ago from someone who is... hope u r 2! :whistle:
i'm concerned about affect your statements will have on nana.
thats all folks
i've said my bit. :woohoo:
bigbear x ;)
big bear wrote:susie, please pass on proffesional advice
swimming is bad for osteoporosis i've been told
do you honestly think i wuld have given up the hobby of a lifetime if i'd been simply told it had no benefits
phew!
i'm no expert like you susie but am passing on advice i received a month or 2 ago from someone who is... hope u r 2! :whistle:
i'm concerned about affect your statements will have on nana.
thats all folks
i've said my bit. :woohoo:
bigbear x ;)
I'm no expert either big bear but I do check these things out when they have relevance to me and my family. My Mother had osteoporosis in her upper spine and osteoarthritis in both hips and both knees; my sister and I are both at risk of developing both conditions and have regular scans (in fact both of already have osteoarthritis)- we have been advised that walking, dancing and other weight bearing exercises will improve our bone density; we have also been advised (by our respective GPs and physiotherapists) that swimming is not harmful to either condition, but, in the case of osteoporosis, neither does it provide any benefit (as it is not a weight bearing exercise). However in the case of osteoarthritis and general health, swimming is very good.

Following your comments I have done an internet search to see what I could find related to swimming being bad for those with osteoporosis - I couldn't find any articles that say those with osteoporosis should not swim. All the articles confirm what I have said above - that it is not a weight bearing exercise but that there is no reason why those with osteoporosis should stop swimming.

Here are 3 links that you may find interesting -

http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/os ... orosis.htm
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv ... d_exercise
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 943AA1pbEp
Hi,
I think someone's got things mixed up, bb. For instance, there's a file from the National Osteoporosis Society online that says swimming is good for general health, but of course it's not weight bearing: you need both. Someone has read 'Swimming is not a weight-bearing exercise' and simply misunderstood it. Please start swimming again! It just isn't enough on its own.
Oh dear, dear friends. I am now totally confused.
My GP hasn't said anything about swimming, neither has the bone consultant, but then I haven't brought the subject up. Anyway, I won't be swimming for 4 weeks now, due to being away.
I was doing so well, too :(

The blood test I had last week has come back with scores etc 'all within the limits' apparently, so the receptionist at surgery said. I haven't got time now to see GP about the numbers, but she did say that my cholesterol is 5.4. I've no idea how bad that is and she wasn't allowed to elaborate, just that it was within the limits. Guess I'll have to go on internet and find out before hols.
Bon Voyage, Nana, you will have a lovely time, so many sights and sounds. Find a Coles supermarket and enjoy some of their scrumptious Anzac biscuits - always one of the first things I did!!
NanaNana wrote:Oh dear, dear friends. I am now totally confused.
My GP hasn't said anything about swimming, neither has the bone consultant, but then I haven't brought the subject up. Anyway, I won't be swimming for 4 weeks now, due to being away.
I was doing so well, too :(

The blood test I had last week has come back with scores etc 'all within the limits' apparently, so the receptionist at surgery said. I haven't got time now to see GP about the numbers, but she did say that my cholesterol is 5.4. I've no idea how bad that is and she wasn't allowed to elaborate, just that it was within the limits. Guess I'll have to go on internet and find out before hols.
"Cholesterol" is made up of two types - HDL (high density lipoprotein) and LDL (low density lipoprotein) - LDL is "bad" cholesterol and HDL is "good" cholesterol. Your number of 5.4 is made up of the total of these two; Cholesterol experts agree that the following are considered healthy for most people:
•a total cholesterol of 5mmol/L or less,
•a non HDL-cholesterol of 4mmol/L or less
•an LDL-cholesterol of 3mmol/L or less
- See more at: http://heartuk.org.uk/health-and-high-c ... gNreL.dpuf

so your number of 5.4 is borderline OK - if, like me, you're diabetic then the experts want the numbers much lower. My last fasting blood test showed 5.4 too but my GP has put me on statins because he wants it nearer to a total of 4 (got my 6 monthly diabetes blood tests tomorrow so I'll know if the statins are working when I get the results next week !)
dear nana and susie,

dear susie as a result of questioning my proffesional advisor agin about swimming
i've tracked down my cossie and swimming goggles
and need to buy a swimming ha to keep my hair dry
its ok to do crawl, if i breath on alternating sides and backstroke,
i'm so happy to be thinking about going back to my favourite exercise,
thanks to you dear susie,
i wont be to swim with my head out of water keeping my hair dry
which will mean a challenging adapting of my swim style
i normally swim like a duck
with my head above water,
bad for my upper spine ,
so dont give up nana,
sorry for all theconfusion i caused by being adamant in my view, :(

and a big thank you hug susie for indirectly making it possible for me to swim again safely!
and once more apologies to my favourite shropshire lass
from bugbear, lol now watching tv in the doghouse!xxx :whistle:
love big bear x
So glad you've decided to go swimming again Big Bear :D :D I, too, swim like a duck with my head in the air and have to concentrate on keeping my face down :shock: If you can manage it, the crawl or backstroke are better as they 'stretch' out your spine whilst you swim - I can only manage a couple of widths doing either of those !