[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Coping with Mother's Day (when your Mom has gone) - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Coping with Mother's Day (when your Mom has gone)

For anyone who is bereaved or no longer providing care.
I do sympathise, my Dad died a couple of days before fathers day...............very difficult, still cant remember much about those few weeks.

Linda
Well, I survived it, just about! On Saturday I took some flowers from our garden down to Mom and Dad’s grave. It was a lovely afternoon to walk down there and I saw quite a few other people carrying flowers and tidying graves. I had a nice chat with a family who had bought their Great Dane (named Chloe, of all things, and a real gentle giant!) along with them to visit the grave of a loved one. On the way home I bought a big box of chocs and took them in to the residents of the local care home where Dad and 2 aunts were resident are various times. I updated the staff on the progress of my surviving aunt, who had to move to another home just over a year ago when her care needs increased, I also had a chat with a couple of the lady residents who happened to be in the office.

As for Sunday itself, I got up late and tried to avoid all mentions of Mother’s Day. I had 2 very supportive phone calls, including one from my friend in South Wales, who I mentioned in my previous post. I must admit I felt relieved when the day was over, but it could have been worse.

Many thanks for all your coping suggestions and support!
Seems as though you had a very peaceful day Dee. You kept yourself busy!
I was having a peaceful day,until midafternoon I answered the phone to a market researcher. Grrrrr!He put the phone down on me in the end. Bet it will be while before he phones anyone at the weekend again!
I was having a peaceful day,until midafternoon I answered the phone to a market researcher. Grrrrr!He put the phone down on me in the end. Bet it will be while before he phones anyone at the weekend again!
Good for you - I'm sorry to say that the last time an insurance salesman rang while I was half asleep with flu my response was similar to yours. Image Image
I hear that another good response to cold callers is to ask them "Would you mind giving me your home number and I'll ring you back at home tomorrow evening", lol!!! (You can always add "just as you're having your dinner" if you are feeling really mischievous").
That's a good one Dee.I will try it next time!
As it turns out,I was trying to hold myself together as a mother, to get through the day for my elder son(he has Downs Syndrome). Missing my younger son very much,and the phone call(especially when we are ex directory and they are not supposed to ring us), just made me lose it completely.It was just his bad luck that he phoned on a day of the year which was really bad for me!
Some of these cold-calling companies still have my Mom and Dad’s names on their database, and it can be quite upsetting when they call and ask for them by name. Sod’s law seems to dictate that these calls come when I am feeling a bit low.

Have you tried registering with the Telephone Preference Service, who will get your number off a lot, if not all of these companies’ lists? My Dad and I did it after Mom died, and it seemed to work, at least up to a point, but I must admit I never got round to doing it after Dad died.

<<<Big Hug>>>

D