[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Open study college and carers allowance. - Carers UK Forum

Open study college and carers allowance.

All about money
Hello,

I am a carer for my daughter who is disabled. I want to go back to studying. I would like to study a levels from home via the open study course. This course requires me to complete it in two years time. There are no minimum or set hours for the course. They have said i can do as much or as little as i want.
Will i still be eligible for carers allowance under these conditions? Also i am in receipt of income support, can i get any financial support to help pay for the courses?

Thankyou.
Hi Shahara, I studied for a part time degree and still managed to qualify, just, for Carers Allowance. That was 20 years ago though, I had to attend college for one full day a week and study at home the rest, so no one could prove I was studying too much. Your situation is very similar. If you want to be "squeaky clean" then ring the Carers UK helpline, they are much better informed that the DWP Carers Allowance Unit, who tend to go by whatever their screen says - it can't cover every eventuality. As for funding, it might be worth asking the college where you are hoping to study. Sometimes they have bursaries available, especially if it's an old established institution. I hope your studies go well. It can be hard going at times, but the little grey cells will enjoy the exercise!
Would i need to inform carers allowance unit? Or not bother? Would they even know or need yo know if i was doing it privately?

Thank you