Working hours

All about money
Hi.

My boyfriend was sectioned less than 5 months ago. I changed from full time to part time hours. Although he's out of hospital now I still ensure he is mentally able to go into work, motivating him to do so when experiencing terrible anxiety. I also am on top of his meds and secondary mental health care.
This morning my boss sent me a strict email saying that my partner is better, that me going part time has been to the 'detriment' of the business and has demanded me to go full time on Monday, giving me only a weeks notice.
I went part time to take pressure off of myself and to look after my own mental health as I have been through a demanding and traumatic time.

Is this actually allowed?!

Help!
Hello Cleo,

I think it would be worth contacting citizens advice ( www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us ) to see what they have to say, because our personal experiences in regards to rights of carers in employment will vary, but they should know what is what legally, and I don't wish to impart advice that may cause you problems down the road worse yet jeopardise your job.

The CUK fact sheet briefly spells out some of the key rights covered by the equality act for carers
http://www.carersuk.org/files/helpandad ... n-work.pdf
You can also find contact information for CUK who should be able to clarify anything you aren't sure about.

With this in mind, it does go without saying, on a personal level it sounds like your boss has their head stuck in the middle ages as far as the attitude towards mental health goes, as you know its something that does not magically disappear, but is managed over a period of time (in some cases a life time) and impacts on the carer as much as the cared for (and in some cases even more so)

I hope something here is useful to you, don't be afraid to drop by if you have any other questions or just want to rant in a safe space

Best wishes to you both